Half-Life Problem: Find Nuclei & Mass After 3 Hours

In summary, after 3 hours, 1/8 of the original 256 x 1010 radioactive nuclei remain in the sample. After that same amount of time, the total mass of the sample is 224 x 10^10 grams.
joeshmo

Homework Statement

Initially, a particular sample has a total mass of 200 grams and contains 256 x 1010 radioactive nuclei. These radioactive nuclei have a half life of 1 hour.

(a) After 3 hours, how many of these radioactive nuclei remain in the sample (that is, how many have not yet experienced a radioactive decay)? Note that you can do this problem without a calculator

(b) After that same amount of time has elapsed, what is the total mass of the sample, to the nearest gram?

Homework Equations

.5 ^(time/half life)
and then multiply that to initial amount

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
i got part A by dividing the initial amount by 8. I tried doing the same for part B but I keep getting it wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it this way. When a sample decays, it loses a specific amount of energy. Since it's asking for the nearest gram, a quick thought experiment is to see how much energy per decay is required for 0.5 grams (convert 0.5 grams to MeV, then divide by the number of particles that decayed). How many MeV would eahcdecay have to be to lose that 0.5 grams (which would just barely not round down to 199 grams).

Your answer to part (a) is OK but part (b) sounds like a 'trick' question to me.
Although you have found that only 1/8 of the atoms are still radioactive the other 7/8 of the atoms are still in the sample. If they emitted beta particles tis would not show as a change in mass on this scale (1g in 200g) If they emitted alpha particles then you have lost 7/8 of the original number of atoms worth of Helium, ie 224 x 10^10 helium atoms.
If I were you I would calculate this mass of helium and see if it is more than 1g. (i doubt it)
The decay mechanism is not mentioned !

1. What is the "Half-Life Problem" and why is it important?

The "Half-Life Problem" refers to the decay of radioactive nuclei over time. This is important because it helps scientists determine the age of rocks, fossils, and other materials, as well as study the behavior and properties of different elements.

2. How do you calculate the number of nuclei remaining after a certain amount of time?

The formula for calculating the number of nuclei remaining after a certain amount of time is N = N0 * (1/2)t/T1/2, where N is the number of remaining nuclei, N0 is the initial number of nuclei, t is the amount of time that has passed, and T1/2 is the half-life of the element.

3. Can half-life be used to determine the mass of a substance?

Yes, the half-life of an element can be used to determine the mass of a substance. By knowing the number of nuclei remaining after a certain amount of time, scientists can calculate the mass of the substance using the atomic mass of the element.

4. How does the half-life of an element affect its stability?

The half-life of an element is directly related to its stability. Elements with shorter half-lives are less stable and more likely to decay, while elements with longer half-lives are more stable and less likely to decay.

5. Is the half-life of an element a constant value?

Yes, the half-life of an element is a constant value. It does not change with temperature, pressure, or any other external factors. However, it may vary slightly depending on the isotope of the element.