Hamiltonian diagonalization

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of diagonalizing a matrix, specifically the Hamiltonian. The speaker attempted to solve the problem by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian, and then using them to find the transformation matrix between the old and new bases. This resulted in a diagonalized form of the Hamiltonian.
aaaa202

Homework Statement

The exercise: https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64229&d=1385257430

Homework Equations

Are in my attempt at a solution. I am sure it would be easier to use the transformation equation for the operator and plug it into the diagonalized Hamiltonian at the bottom. The problem is I don't really understand this procedure so I have started from the basic equation for diagonalizing a matrix. The problem is now that I will need the matrix elements of H in the old basis and I know really see what basis the Hamiltonian is even written in. Which is that?

The Attempt at a Solution

How I tried to solve it: https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64283&d=1385405657

Physics news on Phys.org
I started out by trying to diagonalize the Hamiltonian by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. I found that the eigenvalues are $E_1 = 2, E_2 = -2$ and the corresponding eigenvectors are $|\psi_1 \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt2}(|0 \rangle + |1 \rangle)$ and $|\psi_2 \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt2}(|0 \rangle - |1 \rangle)$. I then tried to use these eigenvectors to find the transformation matrix U between the two bases. I assumed that the new basis would be $\{|\psi_1 \rangle, |\psi_2 \rangle\}$ and the old basis would be $\{|0 \rangle, |1 \rangle\}$. This gives me the transformation matrixU = $\begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{\sqrt2} & \frac{1}{\sqrt2} \\ \frac{1}{\sqrt2} & -\frac{1}{\sqrt2} \end{pmatrix}$I then used this transformation matrix to find the matrix elements of the Hamiltonian in the new basis. H' = UHU$^{-1}$ = $\begin{pmatrix} 2 & 0 \\ 0 & -2 \end{pmatrix}$This is the diagonalized form of the Hamiltonian.

What is Hamiltonian diagonalization?

Hamiltonian diagonalization is a mathematical process used to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a quantum mechanical system described by a Hamiltonian matrix. This allows for a more simplified representation of the system and makes it easier to analyze its properties.

Why is Hamiltonian diagonalization important?

Hamiltonian diagonalization is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of quantum mechanical systems and make predictions about their future states. It also simplifies the analysis of these systems, making it easier to study and manipulate them.

How is Hamiltonian diagonalization performed?

The process of Hamiltonian diagonalization involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian matrix. This is typically done using linear algebra techniques, such as matrix diagonalization or diagonalization by similarity transformations.

What are the applications of Hamiltonian diagonalization?

Hamiltonian diagonalization has many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. It is used to study and predict the behavior of particles, atoms, and molecules, as well as in fields such as condensed matter physics and quantum computing.

What are some limitations of Hamiltonian diagonalization?

One limitation of Hamiltonian diagonalization is that it can become computationally expensive for large and complex systems. It also assumes that the system is in a stationary state, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.