Solving Hamiltonian Problem for 3 State System

• Thread starter rockstar101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hamiltonian
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy eigenvalues and eigenstates for a three state system represented by a Hamiltonian matrix. The three eigenvalues are found to be E = Eo - A, E = Eo + A, and E = E1, and the corresponding eigenstates are |III>, |II>, and |I>, respectively. The conversation ends with a question about determining |ψ(t)> given |ψ(0)> = |3>.
rockstar101

Homework Statement

Let
( Eo 0 A )
( 0 E1 0 )
( A 0 Eo )

be the matrix representation of the Hamiltonian for a three state system with basis states
|1> |2> and |3> .
If |ψ(0)> = |3> what is |ψ(t)> ??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I need to find the energy eigenstate of the system:

H|ψ> = E|ψ> and
(Eo 0 A , 0 E1 0, A 0 Eo)T ( <1|ψ> , <2|ψ>, <3|ψ>)T = E( <1|ψ> , <2|ψ>, <3|ψ>)T

so I got the equation (Eo - E)(E1 - E)(Eo-E) + A^2(E1-E) = 0
simplify, (Eo - E)^2 (E1 - E) + A^2(E1 - E) = 0

for this equation to be true, then E1 = E ... is this my eigenvalue??

From here, how do I find the energy eigenstate?
After that, what should I do to answer the question?
I would really appreciate any hint or help... thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're missing your two other eigenvalues, you need the energies for all 3 states.

Thanks Feldoh, I think my second and third eigenvalues are E = Eo + A and E = Eo - A.
So I'm assuming there will be three eigenstates...
but I really don't have a clue how I can obtain those eigenstates. How can I find the eigenstates?

I'm not sure if those are the right eigenvalues, however once you do find the right eigenvalues you'd just solve for states of the Hamiltonian just like any other eigenvector problem.

From (Eo - E)^2 (E1 - E) + A^2(E1 - E) = 0

I simplified to get (E1 - E)[ (Eo - E)^2 + A^2] = 0

Thus, Eo - E = +/- A

Hence my three eigenvalues are E = Eo - A, E= Eo + A, E = E1

but I'm having trouble finding the eigenstate because Eo and E1 are different.

ok so I figured out the three eigenstates:
for E= E1
eigenstate is |I> = 0|1> + 1|2> + 0 = |2> since the eigenvector is (0 1 0)T

for E= Eo + A
eigenstate is |II> = 1/√2 |1> + 1/√2|3> b/c eigenvector is 1/√2( 1 0 1)T

for E= Eo - A
eigenstate is |III> = 1/√2|1> - 1/√2|3>

now... If |ψ(0)> = |3> what is |ψ(t)> ??

any hint please?

1. What is a Hamiltonian problem for a 3 state system?

The Hamiltonian problem for a 3 state system involves finding the energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions for a quantum mechanical system with three possible states. This is typically represented mathematically using a Hamiltonian operator.

2. What are the applications of solving a Hamiltonian problem for a 3 state system?

Solving a Hamiltonian problem for a 3 state system has many practical applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, chemistry, and materials science. It can provide insight into the behavior of particles and molecules in different energy states and help in the design of new materials and technologies.

3. How is a Hamiltonian problem for a 3 state system solved?

The Hamiltonian problem for a 3 state system is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as eigenvalue equations and matrix diagonalization. These methods allow for the determination of the energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions for the system.

4. What are the challenges in solving a Hamiltonian problem for a 3 state system?

One of the main challenges in solving a Hamiltonian problem for a 3 state system is the complexity of the mathematical equations involved. It requires a strong understanding of quantum mechanics and advanced mathematical skills. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by factors such as external forces and interactions with other particles.

5. Can a Hamiltonian problem for a 3 state system be solved for any system?

In theory, a Hamiltonian problem can be solved for any system with three possible states. However, the complexity and accuracy of the results may vary depending on the specific system and the techniques used for solving the problem.