Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Happy Chinese New Year

1. Jan 16, 2004 #1
    Gong Xi Fa Cai

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2004 #2
    Hong bao na lai

4. Jan 16, 2004 #3
    Kung Hei Fat Choy

利是到來 (Character coding: BIG5)

In Chinese New Year, we have to say Kung Hei Fat Choy to every person we meet.

5. Jan 16, 2004 #4
    Not in my family, i just address them and get the red packets.

6. Jan 16, 2004 #5

jimmy p

Gold Member

I know im ignorant but which animal is this the year of? :wink:

7. Jan 16, 2004 #6
    monkey, is a bad year for bush since he looks like a monkey.

8. Jan 16, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

LOL!!! or maybe it is a good year for monkey-lookie-likies. Maybe he will be fired or something...

9. Jan 16, 2004 #8
    I think this thread started a little bit too early. In fact The Year of Monkey will start on 22rd Jan. :smile:

10. Jan 17, 2004 #9
    My pin yin may be out of whack, but nonetheless

Xin Nian Kuai Le!

Chinese New Year is actually quite a big thing from where I am from in Brunei, even though only 20% of the population celebrates it. All the shops are emblazoned in red, but then again most of the businessmen here are Chinese. Fortune tellers are saying that the year of the monkey will be a good year, but isn't that the same thing they have said about other years?

11. Jan 17, 2004 #10
    Heard that there will be something like one hundred million people moving around ('visiting relatives'...just like everyone else does) in China for this event, All of the population of Canada all moving around three times!

I am born in the year of the Monkey, '56...anyone smell banana?

12. Jan 17, 2004 #11
    Why can't your age be divisible by 12 if you're born in the year of the monkey ?

Kung Hei Fat Choy :smile:
    Your pin yin is probably better than mine cos I don't speak good Manderin. Cantonese is my mother tongue. That's why I speak Kung Hei Fat Choy (Cantonese) instead of Gong Xi Fa Cai (Manderin).

13. Jan 17, 2004 #12
    Why is it difficult to divide 48 by twelve? ("Soon to come... at an MRP near you..." HUH? FOURTY EIGHT!)

Kung Hei Fat Choy!

14. Jan 17, 2004 #13

Becareful if you are a monkey in the year of Monkey... all things might have a chance to go against you, but since New Year is coming, I'm suppose to say good things.

Wish you the best fortune and luck.

15. Jan 18, 2004 #14
    Thanks, heard it is a year for "Change" (Nickles?? dimes??) and same to you....BTW could you tell me what "Luck" Actually is?

16. Jan 18, 2004 #15
    oops, I thought you meant you were 56 years old. But I just realised what you meant was that you were born in 1956.

:wink:

17. Jan 18, 2004 #16
    Sorry, economy in malaysia is bad, this year no Ang Pow.

18. Jan 19, 2004 #17
    This isn't a good excuse. When the economy gets better, you owe me a meal. Have it fed-exed to my house.

19. Jan 19, 2004 #18
    Will you say this to your kid(s) ?

20. Jan 21, 2004 #19
    just had dinner with whole family members

21. Jan 21, 2004 #20
    Watching CCTV-4 right now :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?