Hard Disk - Motherboard Compatibility

• Thread starter rahulkhajuria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk Hard
In summary, the conversation discusses two personal computers, P.C.1 and P.C.2, purchased in 2006 and 2009 respectively. P.C.1 has a MicroStar motherboard, Pentium 4 processor, 80 GB hard disk, 512 MB RAM, and a 250 watt power supply. P.C.2 has an ASUS motherboard, Athlon processor, 250 GB hard disk, 2 GB RAM, and a 400 watt power supply. The hard disks have different power requirements, but the user is unsure if swapping them between the two computers will cause any issues. Precautions for adding new devices to a computer are discussed, with the assurance that hard drive and motherboard compatibility should not be a
rahulkhajuria
I have 2 P.C.s as follows

P.C.1 : 865G/GVM3-V (MS -7101 V2.0) M-ATX MicroStar Motherboard
Pentium 4 Dual Core Processor
80 GB WD Hard Disk 1.5 Gb/s
512 MB DDR1 RAM
250 Watt Power Supply
Bought in 2006

P.C.2 : M2N68-AM SE2 ASUS Motherboard
ATHALON Processor
250 GB Seagate BARRACUDA 7200.10 Hard Disk 3 Gb/s
2 GB DDR2 RAM
400 Watt Power Supply
Bought in 2009

The Hard Disk on P.C.1 has the following thing written on it - 5v ... .48A
12v ... .50A

The Hard Disk on P.C.2 has the following thing written on it - 5v ... .72A
12v ... .52A

Now , I want to install the Hard Disk on P.C. 1 on P.C. 2 & Vice Versa .
However , I am concerned that when I try this out what if there is some spark or short-circuit due to some sort of power-mismatch because of which I end up killing one of the motherboards or HardDisks . Can I safely just swap the 2 Hard Disks ? Is there any more information I need to give regarding these P.Cs ?

What are the precautions in general that one needs to bear in mind before adding new devices onto a P.C. Or in other words , how does one check whether a certain device will be compatible with a certain system or not ?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I have never heard of hard drive, motherboard incompatibility. I wouldn't worry about it, especially since both of those drives are SATA so you don't even need an adapter! Only difference is one is 1.5gb/s sata and one is 3gb/s sata, and I am pretty sure you can just use a 1.5gb/s cord on a 3gb/s, read the manuals for them just in case though.

Hard drive swaps should not be an issue. You may have power supply issues with pc 1. 250 watts is marginal. I would be uncomfortable with less than 300 watts with that setup.

1. What is the importance of hard disk-motherboard compatibility?

Hard disk-motherboard compatibility is important because it determines whether or not a specific hard disk can be connected and used with a certain motherboard. If the two are not compatible, the hard disk will not function properly, or it may not work at all.

2. How can I check if my hard disk is compatible with my motherboard?

You can check the compatibility by looking at the specifications of both the hard disk and the motherboard. Make sure they have matching interfaces, such as SATA or IDE, and that the hard disk size is supported by the motherboard.

3. What happens if I try to use an incompatible hard disk with my motherboard?

If you try to use an incompatible hard disk with your motherboard, it may not be recognized by the system at all. If it is recognized, it may not function properly and could cause data loss or system errors.

4. Can I use an adapter to make an incompatible hard disk work with my motherboard?

In some cases, you may be able to use an adapter to make an incompatible hard disk work with your motherboard. However, this is not recommended as it may cause performance issues and is not a guaranteed solution.

5. How can I ensure future compatibility between my hard disk and motherboard?

The best way to ensure future compatibility is to choose a hard disk and motherboard from the same manufacturer or to check for compatibility before purchasing any new hardware. Additionally, keeping both the hard disk and motherboard drivers up to date can help prevent compatibility issues.