Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard drive error (cyclic redundancy check)

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    My 1 TB external hard drive which currently houses about 850 gbs worth of media is having an issue.

It wont display in my computer but it displays in disk management in black as 931 gb of unalloacted space. When I right click I cant assign it to a drive letter.

When disk management pops up it asks me to intiliaze and thats when i get the CRC error.

I figured it was because of the case so i took the hard drive out its a Hitachi and plugged it right into the motherboard sata style.

Same issue. I googled the error and apparently it means i have a bad area on the disk or some corrupt files.

Im wondering what kind of software tools I may be able to use to recover some of the data or even fix the issue. I would really like to be able to use this drive but if I could atleast get some of the data back that would be nice.

Thanks,
    Blimkie

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2009 #2
    I had a similar problem, I tried Paragon Partition Manager Professional 9.0.
    It recovered all of my data and the disk is running with no problems since.

4. Nov 19, 2009 #3
    Thankyou sir, thats all i needed was a reccomendation. I will give it a try.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook