Solve Harmonic Problem: Find Bullet Speed Before Impact

• Thread starter ceeforcynthia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonic
In summary, the conversation involves a problem involving a bullet and a block attached to a spring. The question is to find the speed of the bullet before impact if the two objects move together after impact. The equation V=A\sqrt{k/m} is used to solve the problem, with the masses of the bullet and block added together. The calculated velocity is 22.26 m/s, but the speed of the bullet is still unknown. The concept of conservation of momentum may be relevant in finding the answer.
ceeforcynthia
Hi! I've been working on this problem for a while, subtracting this and that.. but i can't get the answer which is 557m/s. Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance ><

1. A 25.0g bullet strikes a .600kg block attached to a fixed horizontal spring whose spring constant is 6.70x10^3 and sets it into vibration with an amplitude of 21.5cm. What is the speed of the bullet before impact if the two objects move together after impact?

2. V=A[tex]\sqrt{k/m}[/tex]

3. I used the equation above, adding the masses together (.625kg). I got the velocity to be 22.26m/s... but now i can't figure out how to get the speed of the bullet.

Physics news on Phys.org
conservation of momentum

Hi there! It looks like you are working on a harmonic problem involving a bullet and a block attached to a spring. This is a great question and I'm happy to help you solve it.

To find the speed of the bullet before impact, we can use the conservation of momentum principle. This principle states that the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

In this case, the bullet and the block are moving together after impact, so their total momentum before and after the collision is the same. We can write this as:

m_bullet * v_bullet = (m_bullet + m_block) * v_after

where m_bullet is the mass of the bullet, v_bullet is its initial velocity, m_block is the mass of the block, and v_after is the velocity of the bullet and block together after the collision.

We know the mass of the bullet is 25.0g, or 0.025kg, and the mass of the block is 0.600kg. We also know the velocity after impact is the same as the velocity of the block when it is set into vibration by the spring. We can use the equation you mentioned, V=A\sqrt{k/m}, to find this velocity.

Substituting in the values we have, we get:

0.025kg * v_bullet = (0.025kg + 0.600kg) * 0.215m * √(6.70x10^3 N/m / 0.625kg)

Solving for v_bullet, we get a speed of 557m/s, which matches the answer you were given. So it looks like you were on the right track!

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a harmonic problem?

A harmonic problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to an equation that describes a periodic motion, such as a swinging pendulum or a vibrating string. In the context of finding the bullet speed before impact, the harmonic problem refers to the calculations involved in determining the velocity of a bullet at a certain distance from the gun.

2. How is the bullet speed before impact calculated?

The bullet speed before impact can be calculated using the equation for simple harmonic motion, which takes into account the distance traveled by the bullet, the acceleration due to gravity, and the initial velocity of the bullet. The specific equation used may vary depending on the specific scenario and any other factors that may affect the bullet's motion.

3. What variables are needed to solve a harmonic problem for bullet speed?

To solve a harmonic problem for bullet speed, you will need to know the distance traveled by the bullet, the acceleration due to gravity, and the initial velocity of the bullet. Other variables that may be relevant include the angle at which the bullet was fired and any external forces acting on the bullet.

4. Can the bullet speed before impact be calculated for any type of gun?

Yes, the bullet speed before impact can be calculated for any type of gun as long as the necessary information and variables are known. This includes the type of gun, the ammunition being used, and any other relevant factors that may affect the bullet's motion.

5. How accurate are the calculations for finding bullet speed before impact?

The accuracy of the calculations for finding bullet speed before impact depends on the accuracy of the input variables and the equations used. In real-world scenarios, there may be other factors that can affect the bullet's motion and accuracy, such as air resistance and wind. Therefore, the calculations may not be completely accurate, but they can provide a close estimation of the bullet speed before impact.