Have a (home-built) linux box? Let's discuss (I want to build my own)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jabberwocky
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Box Build Linux
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Jabberwocky
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hey PF!

Short First Post Intro:
I've been a long time spectator here. I'm a junior undergrad physics major. PF has been a lot of fun, and tremendous help to me (like last winter I applied to many REU's). So thank you all!

At the REU I'm in now, I'm learning linux. I'd love to hear any of the following:

1. Your current system:
Specs? Distro? Likes? Dislikes?​

2. Dream system?
(Desktop or laptop)? Distro?​

3. Any advice for someone who's never built their own computer.

So here's me:

1. Macbook pro. Intel core duo 2.8 GHz. 4 GB ram. Dual booting Xubuntu.
Likes: Love Apple's design/hardware. Xubuntu is fast and lightweight.​
Dislikes: Apple keyboard/hardware isn't always friendly with linux.​

2. I'm unsure, but something I've built myself so I understand the system (and of course awesome tech specs)...

3. n/a

Basically I would be blowing a good portion of my REU stipend on this...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
My comany uses Mandriva.

The dream systems are quad or oct processor systems. Some folks told me though that some high end 512-core (processor) systems aren't too expensive, so I'll be looking at those, with a large amount of RAM and a fast bus.
 
Wow! That's a lot of horsepower. The most I could afford and put to good use would probably be an oct core system or two quad cores.

Eventually I'd like to upgrade to a cluster system, but I'm starting small.
 
Jabberwocky said:
1. Your current system:
I built a system around a Core i7-2600K, I boot Xubuntu 11.04 (configured to look like 10.04, I don't like the updated interface) off of a 160 GB SSD along with Win 7 Ultimate for Visual Studio (Kinect SDK work) and SolidWorks. Each OS has a 1 TB WD Caviar Black HDD. I have a BD-RW drive. I have a GTX570 (for games and CUDA programming) and 16 GB of DDR3 @ 1333MHz. This is in an Antec 900 case.

Jabberwocky said:
2. Dream system?
Pretty much my current system, maybe all SSD and a third monitor, plus another 16 GB or RAM.

Jabberwocky said:
3. Any advice for someone who's never built their own computer.
Don't rush it, double check all your components. Watch this video from Newegg first (all three parts):

Make sure to get an nVidia graphics card if you don't use integrated graphics, ATI's Linux drivers are horrible.
 
Last edited by a moderator: