Have a question on how to do an integral.

• Thread starter PCP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, to solve an integral, one can use methods such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. The purpose of an integral is to find the total area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval, and it is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields involving continuous change. The choice of method for solving an integral depends on the type of function and the form of the integral, and it is important to have a good understanding of each method. While calculators and software programs can solve integrals, it is important to understand the concepts behind integration and verify the results. One can check the correctness of their solution by taking the derivative of the integral and comparing it to the original function
PCP
How do you do this integral?

Integral of ln(x)/x^(1/2)dx

Physics news on Phys.org
If you re-write it as [itex]x^{-\frac{1}{2}}\ln(x)[/itex] integration by parts comes to mind. It will work.

To solve this integral, you can use the substitution method. Let u = √x, then du = (1/2x^(1/2))dx. Substituting this into the integral, we get ∫ln(u)/u du. We can then use integration by parts, with u = ln(u) and dv = 1/u du. This gives us the integral ∫ln(u)du = uln(u) - ∫1du. Substituting back in for u, we get √xln(√x) - ∫1du = √xln(√x) - u + C. Finally, substituting back in for u, we get the final answer of √xln(√x) - √x + C.

1. How do I solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various methods such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is important to understand the fundamental principles of integration and practice solving different types of integrals.

2. What is the purpose of an integral?

An integral is used to find the total area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is also used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve continuous change.

3. How do I know which method to use when solving an integral?

Choosing the right method for solving an integral depends on the type of function and the form of the integral. It is important to have a good understanding of each method and practice identifying which method is most suitable for a given integral.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve an integral?

Yes, there are several calculators and software programs that can solve integrals. However, it is important to understand the concepts and principles behind integration in order to use these tools effectively and verify the results.

5. How can I check if my solution to an integral is correct?

You can check your solution by taking the derivative of the integral and comparing it to the original function. If they are equal, then your solution is correct. You can also use online tools or software programs to verify your solution.