Monthly Earnings for Teaching Assistants

• Thread starter Drimar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teaching
In summary, the amount a teaching assistant earns each month depends on their location and the subject they are teaching. For chemists in Georgia, the annual salary is typically around $18,000. However, salaries can vary and some TAs may earn as little as $600 a month while others may earn more. It is important to keep in mind that living expenses vary and TAs may have to budget carefully to make ends meet.
Drimar
How much does a teaching assistant earn each month ? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on where you live and what subject you're teaching. For chemists in georgia, I know it's somewhere around $18,000.00 annually. Yeah, not very much.

Depends, I was paid $600 a month in the early '90's while earning my first masters and was only making $1100 a month when I finished grad school in 2001 at anohter school.

thanks, i think 18000 is much enough for a year. I spend only 9 p/day and on average 3285 p/year, that means I spend only $5555 /year for only food and $2000 for clothing, $1000 for books, then I still have $9445 in my account.
I will use the remaining money for TRAVELING !
What do you think ?

Keep in mind that living costs are higher in some places than others, and salaries tend to vary accordingly. Most universities in the US probably pay their TA's and RA's enough for basic living expenses in their cities.

I don't have any direct experience with current conditions, but when I was a graduate student about 25 years ago I shared an apartment with another student, didn't own a car, and wasn't into nightlife or partying, so I was never short of cash. I was even able to travel to Europe twice, staying in hostels and with friends and relatives.

Thank you!

1. What is the average monthly earnings for teaching assistants?

The average monthly earnings for teaching assistants vary depending on location and experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median monthly salary for teaching assistants in the United States was $26,970 in May 2020.

2. How are monthly earnings for teaching assistants determined?

The monthly earnings for teaching assistants are typically determined by factors such as education level, experience, and location. In some cases, the type of institution or school district may also impact the salary. Additionally, some teaching assistants may receive bonuses or additional compensation for extra duties or responsibilities.

3. Do teaching assistants receive benefits in addition to their monthly earnings?

Many teaching assistants receive benefits in addition to their monthly earnings, such as health insurance, retirement plans, and paid time off. However, the specific benefits offered may vary depending on the institution or school district.

4. Are there opportunities for teaching assistants to earn more than the average monthly salary?

Yes, there are opportunities for teaching assistants to earn more than the average monthly salary. Teaching assistants may be able to negotiate higher salaries based on their experience and qualifications, or they may have the opportunity to take on extra duties or responsibilities for additional compensation.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect monthly earnings for teaching assistants?

Yes, there are several factors that may affect monthly earnings for teaching assistants. These may include the cost of living in a particular area, the demand for teaching assistants in a certain location, and the availability of funding for education in general. Additionally, the type of institution (such as public vs. private) and the subject or grade level being taught may also impact earnings.