Have trouble running the Fermi software on ubuntu terminal

In summary, the problem is that the user does not know what to do next after sourcing the installation. The software has no single file to work with, and each of the tools inside it has its own file.
majormuss
Hi all,
I recently installed ubuntu on my pc and I am trying to run the Fermi software provided by NASA (http://fermi.gsfc.nasa.gov/ssc/data/analysis/software/). I believe I did all the installation steps right but I am having trouble starting the software. If you are familiar with this software and know how to run it please let me know! What do I do after the last step in the installation procedure? I cannot find any executable files from the installation folder. Please help!

Technology news on Phys.org
What kind of trouble is it exactly?
Give me a list of subdirectories in the installation directory.
Also you should notice that it may be a command line software with no GUI.

Last edited:
Shyan said:
What kind of trouble is it exactly?
Give me a list of subdirectories in the installation directory.
Also you should notice that it may be a command line software with no GUI.
I ran the installation according to the directions on the website and I sourced it. I am not sure what to do next in order to run the software and access the Fermi data. I attached a picture of where I am. After I choose yes for sourcing, nothing followed. My problem is that I don't know what is next.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2015-06-09 13:02:19.png
    Screenshot from 2015-06-09 13:02:19.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 394
majormuss said:
I ran the installation according to the directions on the website and I sourced it. I am not sure what to do next in order to run the software and access the Fermi data. I attached a picture of where I am. After I choose yes for sourcing, nothing followed. My problem is that I don't know what is next.
It seems this is a command line software. Anything needed to run the software, should be inside that bin subdirectory. Usually a file named the same as the name of the software. But if you couldn't find it, just give me a list of the files in that subdirectory.

Thanks, this is a list of the files in the 'bin' sub-directory. I uploaded pictures of it.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2015-06-10 09:15:53.png
    Screenshot from 2015-06-10 09:15:53.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 363
  • Screenshot from 2015-06-10 09:16:06.png
    Screenshot from 2015-06-10 09:16:06.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 443
  • Screenshot from 2015-06-10 09:16:15.png
    Screenshot from 2015-06-10 09:16:15.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 394
None of them seem to be what you want!
Anyway, from the path, it seems to me we're not in the right place. Is there a bin directory directly under "fermi_science_tools"?

Shyan said:
None of them seem to be what you want!
Anyway, from the path, it seems to me we're not in the right place. Is there a bin directory directly under "fermi_science_tools"?
This is the directory to the BUILD_DIR folder. I took a screenshot of each folder and files till the BUILD_DIR.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2015-06-10 12:47:07.png
    Screenshot from 2015-06-10 12:47:07.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 410
  • Screenshot from 2015-06-10 12:47:15.png
    Screenshot from 2015-06-10 12:47:15.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 397
  • Screenshot from 2015-06-10 12:47:22.png
    Screenshot from 2015-06-10 12:47:22.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 401
  • Screenshot from 2015-06-10 12:47:33.png
    Screenshot from 2015-06-10 12:47:33.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 371
OK, I now get it. If you look at this page, you can see that several tools are explained. This software package actually has no single file to work with. Each of the tools inside it has its own file and all of them are in that bin directory.

The NASA page is down for me at the moment so I can't see the instructions.

When you killed it, how long was it hanging for? Were you seeing CPU or disk activity? Assuming this is scientific computation, sometimes programs of this type can hours.

Normally on Ubuntu you would build from source by running

./configure
make
make install

The 'source' command runs a script in the current shell so likely they want you to run that script. You might want to look at the contents of that script.

I would need to see their instructions. Can you post those as their site is timing out?

1. Why am I having trouble running the Fermi software on my Ubuntu terminal?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to compatibility issues between the software and your operating system, missing dependencies, or incorrect installation of the software. It is also possible that there are errors in your code or input files that are preventing the software from running successfully.

2. How can I fix the problem of Fermi software not running on my Ubuntu terminal?

The first step to solving this issue is to check for any missing dependencies and install them if necessary. Make sure that you have followed the correct installation instructions for the software. You can also try updating your Ubuntu system and the software to their latest versions. If the issue persists, it is recommended to seek help from the software's support team or online forums.

3. Is there a specific version of Ubuntu that is required to run the Fermi software?

The Fermi software is designed to be compatible with most Linux distributions, including Ubuntu. However, it is always recommended to check the software's system requirements before installing it. Make sure that you have the required version of Ubuntu and any other necessary dependencies before attempting to run the software.

4. How can I check if the Fermi software is properly installed on my Ubuntu terminal?

To check if the Fermi software is installed correctly, you can try running a simple test code or using the "which" command in the terminal to see if the software's executable file is located in the correct directory. You can also check the software's documentation for specific instructions on how to test the installation.

5. What should I do if I encounter an error while running the Fermi software on my Ubuntu terminal?

If you encounter an error while running the Fermi software, it is essential to carefully read the error message to understand the cause of the issue. Check for any typos or mistakes in your code and ensure that all necessary input files are present. If you are unable to resolve the issue on your own, it is best to seek help from the software's support team or online forums.