Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have trouble running the Fermi software on ubuntu terminal

1. Jun 8, 2015 #1
    Hi all,
    I recently installed ubuntu on my pc and I am trying to run the Fermi software provided by NASA (http://fermi.gsfc.nasa.gov/ssc/data/analysis/software/). I believe I did all the installation steps right but I am having trouble starting the software. If you are familiar with this software and know how to run it please let me know! What do I do after the last step in the installation procedure? I cannot find any executable files from the installation folder. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2015 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

What kind of trouble is it exactly?
    Give me a list of subdirectories in the installation directory.
    Also you should notice that it may be a command line software with no GUI.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  4. Jun 9, 2015 #3
    I ran the installation according to the directions on the website and I sourced it. I am not sure what to do next in order to run the software and access the Fermi data. I attached a picture of where I am. After I choose yes for sourcing, nothing followed. My problem is that I don't know what is next.

Attached Files:

5. Jun 9, 2015 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

It seems this is a command line software. Anything needed to run the software, should be inside that bin subdirectory. Usually a file named the same as the name of the software. But if you couldn't find it, just give me a list of the files in that subdirectory.

6. Jun 10, 2015 #5
    Thanks, this is a list of the files in the 'bin' sub-directory. I uploaded pictures of it.

Attached Files:

7. Jun 10, 2015 #6

ShayanJ

Gold Member

None of them seem to be what you want!
    Anyway, from the path, it seems to me we're not in the right place. Is there a bin directory directly under "fermi_science_tools"?

8. Jun 10, 2015 #7
    This is the directory to the BUILD_DIR folder. I took a screenshot of each folder and files till the BUILD_DIR.

Attached Files:

9. Jun 10, 2015 #8

ShayanJ

Gold Member

OK, I now get it. If you look at this page, you can see that several tools are explained. This software package actually has no single file to work with. Each of the tools inside it has its own file and all of them are in that bin directory.

10. Jun 14, 2015 #9
    The NASA page is down for me at the moment so I can't see the instructions.

When you killed it, how long was it hanging for? Were you seeing CPU or disk activity? Assuming this is scientific computation, sometimes programs of this type can hours.

Normally on Ubuntu you would build from source by running

./configure
    make
    make install

The 'source' command runs a script in the current shell so likely they want you to run that script. You might want to look at the contents of that script.

I would need to see their instructions. Can you post those as their site is timing out?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook