Protect Your Identity: Opt Out Now - Easy Online

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary: Yeah, as far as I know, the main sources by which spammers get your email address are (1) you include it as text on a public website (2) you enter it on a form on a shady site which then turns around and sells it.
Physics news on Phys.org
The email opt out link is no good.

So what are the odds of this actually working?

I'm sure it won't be perfect, but the do-not-call list worked pretty well for me.

Ivan Seeking said:
The email opt out link is no good.

https://www.dmachoice.org/dma/member/home.action;jsessionid=71E44EFDB24C4D51F0E7968CCEB55CC5.tomcat2#

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the "opt out" on telemarketing, and have not yet gotten one call. I don't get any e-mail spam, perhaps because I don't go to questionable websites.

I get some junk mail, but most of it is coupons for free stuff and discounts that I actually use and I love getting them. So I guess it's not junk.

Evo said:
I did the "opt out" on telemarketing, and have not yet gotten one call. I don't get any e-mail spam, perhaps because I don't go to questionable websites..

I think this is driven more by online purchases. How would someone get your email just by visiting a site?

Ivan Seeking said:
I think this is driven more by online purchases. How would someone get your email just by visiting a site?
There are a lot of websites that have asked for my e-mail address. I input a bogus address. If people are getting e-mail spam, they must have input their real address, how else would they be getting spam and I don't? Especially considering I've been on the internet since 1994 with the same e-mail address?

Yeah, as far as I know, the main sources by which spammers get your email address are (1) you include it as text on a public website (2) you enter it on a form on a shady site which then turns around and sells it. Entering a bogus address pretty effectively blocks #2 :wink:

What is identity theft and why is it important to protect against it?

Identity theft is when someone steals your personal information, such as your name, Social Security number, or credit card number, and uses it for their own gain. This can result in financial loss, damage to your credit score, and even legal issues. It is important to protect against it to safeguard your personal and financial security.

What is "opting out" and why is it beneficial for protecting my identity?

Opting out means requesting that your personal information be removed from certain databases and public records. This makes it more difficult for identity thieves to access your information and use it for fraudulent purposes. It is beneficial for protecting your identity because it limits the amount of personal information available for others to access.

How can I opt out of having my personal information shared online?

There are a few steps you can take to opt out of having your personal information shared online. First, you can contact the three major credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) and request that your information be removed from their marketing lists. You can also opt out of pre-approved credit offers by visiting optoutprescreen.com. Additionally, you can contact specific companies or organizations that you do not want to share your personal information with and request that they remove it from their databases.

Will opting out prevent all instances of identity theft?

Unfortunately, opting out does not guarantee that you will never experience identity theft. There are still ways for thieves to access your personal information, such as through data breaches or physical theft. However, opting out can make it more difficult for them to do so and reduce your risk. It is important to also practice other safety measures, such as regularly monitoring your credit report and being cautious about sharing personal information online.

Is it a one-time process or do I need to opt out regularly?

Opting out is not a one-time process. While some opt-out requests may remain in effect indefinitely, others may have an expiration date. It is important to regularly check and update your opt-out requests to ensure that your personal information is continuously protected. Additionally, if you move or change your name, you may need to opt out again to ensure that your new information is not shared.