1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having problems evaluating definite integral

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to evaluate
    [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{9-6\cos t}{5-4\cos t} dt \ .[/tex]
    I found that the antiderivative of the integrand is
    [tex]F(x) = \frac{3}{2}x + \tan^{-1} \left(3\tan\frac{x}{2} \right)[/tex]
    so using the FTC, the integral should be
    [tex]F(2\pi)-F(0)=3\pi[/tex]
    But using a calculator to evaluate the integral yields [itex]4\pi[/itex].
    What am I doing wrong here?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2
    Hint: tan-1 0 is not always equal to 0.

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    I don't understand what you mean. If tan-1 x were multivalued, then it would not be a function, so I implicitly restricted tan-1 x to its principal branch.

5. Feb 9, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to worry about whether or not the hypotheses of the fundamental theorem of calculus hold; that is, whether or not [itex] \int_0^{2 \pi} f(x) \, dx = F(2\pi) - F(0) [/itex] actually holds (where F is an antiderivative of f). If F(x) sweeps over points arising from different branches of 'arctan' as x goes from 0 to 2π, you might run into trouble. To be safe, break up the integral as [itex]I = I_1 + I_2,[/itex] where x goes from 0 to π in the first integral and from π to 2π in the second; then change variables to x = π + y in the second integral, so you again have an integral from 0 to π.

RGV

6. Feb 9, 2012 #5
    Aren't the hypotheses of the FTC just that F is differentiable and F'=f? These seem to hold for the function I gave, so I don't see exactly where the problem is.

7. Feb 9, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you need F to be differentiable.

If [itex]\displaystyle F(x) = \frac{3}{2}x + \tan^{-1} \left(3\tan\frac{x}{2} \right)\,,[/itex] notice that F has jump discontinuities at x = (2k+1)π. In other words, F(x) is not differentiable when x is an odd integer multiple of π.

This requires you to break up the integral as has been suggested.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook