1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble proving a property of convex sets:

1. Mar 29, 2006 #1
    In my econ homework, I was asked to prove that:
    A set C is convex iff a C + b C = (a+b) C for all nonnegative scalars a and b.

All that I'm given is that the definition of a convex set is, for x,y elements of a convex set C:
    (1-a) x + a y exists in C, for 0<a<1

My thoughts were to first prove it in the forward direction. So suppose C convex. Then a C + b C = {ax+by : x,y exist in C}. Somehow I need to get this to a C + b C = {(a+b) x : x exist in C}. I'm not seeing how to do this using the definition of a convex set. I can see why this is true geometrically by noting the set a C + b C is simply the b C superimposed on a bunch a C's on the edge, so the new "radius" becomes a+b but this isn't rigorous.

I have already proved that if a set C is convex then for every finite subset and nonegative scalars that sum to 1, the linear combination is also in C; that teh sum of two convex sets is convex, and that scalar multiples of convex sets are convex, so I can use those properties but I don't think they help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Start by looking at a simple example. Suppose C is an interval in the real numbers (all convex sets in R1 are intervals). Then aC+ bC= {ax1+ bx2} where x1 and x2 are contained in C. You want to prove that there always exist x in C such that ax1+ bx2= (a+ b)x. Well, obviously, x= (ax1+ bx2)/(a+b)= (a/(a+b))x1+ (b/(a+b))x2. Do you see how to prove that x is in C?
  4. Mar 29, 2006 #3
    Ah, I see. Thank you so much for your help.
  5. Jan 6, 2010 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?