Having trouble proving a property of convex sets:

In summary: Suppose C is an interval in the real numbers. Then aC+ bC= {ax1+ bx2} where x1 and x2 are contained in C. You want to prove that there always exist x in C such that ax1+ bx2= (a+ b)x. Well, obviously, x= (ax1+ bx2)/(a+b)= (a/(a+b))x1+ (b/(a+b))x2. Do you see how to prove that x is in C?Ah, I see. Thank you so much for your help.
mcah5
In my econ homework, I was asked to prove that:
A set C is convex iff a C + b C = (a+b) C for all nonnegative scalars a and b.

All that I'm given is that the definition of a convex set is, for x,y elements of a convex set C:
(1-a) x + a y exists in C, for 0<a<1

My thoughts were to first prove it in the forward direction. So suppose C convex. Then a C + b C = {ax+by : x,y exist in C}. Somehow I need to get this to a C + b C = {(a+b) x : x exist in C}. I'm not seeing how to do this using the definition of a convex set. I can see why this is true geometrically by noting the set a C + b C is simply the b C superimposed on a bunch a C's on the edge, so the new "radius" becomes a+b but this isn't rigorous.

I have already proved that if a set C is convex then for every finite subset and nonegative scalars that sum to 1, the linear combination is also in C; that teh sum of two convex sets is convex, and that scalar multiples of convex sets are convex, so I can use those properties but I don't think they help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by looking at a simple example. Suppose C is an interval in the real numbers (all convex sets in R1 are intervals). Then aC+ bC= {ax1+ bx2} where x1 and x2 are contained in C. You want to prove that there always exist x in C such that ax1+ bx2= (a+ b)x. Well, obviously, x= (ax1+ bx2)/(a+b)= (a/(a+b))x1+ (b/(a+b))x2. Do you see how to prove that x is in C?

Ah, I see. Thank you so much for your help.

mcah5 said:
In my econ homework, I was asked to prove that:
A set C is convex iff a C + b C = (a+b) C for all nonnegative scalars a and b.

All that I'm given is that the definition of a convex set is, for x,y elements of a convex set C:
(1-a) x + a y exists in C, for 0<a<1

My thoughts were to first prove it in the forward direction. So suppose C convex. Then a C + b C = {ax+by : x,y exist in C}. Somehow I need to get this to a C + b C = {(a+b) x : x exist in C}. I'm not seeing how to do this using the definition of a convex set. I can see why this is true geometrically by noting the set a C + b C is simply the b C superimposed on a bunch a C's on the edge, so the new "radius" becomes a+b but this isn't rigorous.

I have already proved that if a set C is convex then for every finite subset and nonegative scalars that sum to 1, the linear combination is also in C; that teh sum of two convex sets is convex, and that scalar multiples of convex sets are convex, so I can use those properties but I don't think they help.

how?

1. What is a convex set?

A convex set is a set of points where, for any two points in the set, the line segment connecting them is also contained within the set. In other words, a convex set is a set that is "curved outwards" and has no indentations or "dips" in its boundary.

2. Why is it difficult to prove properties of convex sets?

The difficulty in proving properties of convex sets lies in the fact that they are often defined by complex mathematical equations and can have infinitely many points. Additionally, proving a property requires showing that it holds true for all possible points in the set, which can be a daunting task.

3. What are some common properties of convex sets?

Some common properties of convex sets include symmetry, closure under convex combinations, and convexity. Convex sets are also often characterized by their boundaries, which are typically smooth and continuous.

4. How can I prove a property of a convex set?

To prove a property of a convex set, you will need to use mathematical tools such as equations, inequalities, and calculus. It is important to carefully define your property and understand the properties of convex sets before attempting to prove it. Additionally, visual aids such as diagrams and graphs can be helpful in understanding and proving properties of convex sets.

5. Are there any tips for proving properties of convex sets?

Yes, here are a few tips for proving properties of convex sets:

• Start by carefully defining your property and understanding the properties of convex sets.
  • Use mathematical tools such as equations, inequalities, and calculus.
  • Utilize visual aids such as diagrams and graphs to aid in understanding and proving the property.
  • Break down the proof into smaller, more manageable steps.
  • Consider using induction or contradiction to prove the property.
  • Double check your work and make sure your proof is logically sound.