Having trouble working out centripetal force?

In summary: Also, make sure you are using the correct radius. It should be the radius of the orbit, which is 6,864,000 meters. In summary, the Russian Mir space station had a mass of 130 tonnes and orbited Earth at an altitude of 480km with an orbital speed of 7621.4m/s. The centripetal force acting on it was calculated to be 1100750.136 N. The acceleration of gravity acting on an astronaut in Mir was found to be 8.47 m/sec^2, which is significantly less than the acceleration due to gravity on Earth's surface. The sheet with the answers for this question is likely incorrect.
Jan Berkhout

Homework Statement

The Russian Mir space station had a mass of 130 tonnes and orbited Earth at an altitude of 480km with an orbital speed of 7621.4m/s. The diameter of Earth is 12 760 km.
a) What centripetal force was acting on it?
b) Find the value of the acceleration due to gravity acting on an astronaut in Mir.

Homework Equations

Fc=mv2/r
a=F/m

The Attempt at a Solution

m = 130000kg r = 6860000m v = 7621.4m/s

So Fc=(130000×7621.42)/6860000
∴Fc=1100750.136 N

The answers say 30N. What on Earth have I done wrong?

I also do not know how to go about doing b.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend using scientific notation, and also only keeping two or three significant figures, but I believe your answer for the force is correct. ## \\ ## For part (b), you have the correct equation, ## a=F/m ##. That is the acceleration of the spaceship, but that is the same as the astronaut's acceleration. Because acceleration due to gravity falls off as an inverse square as measured from the center of the earth, since this satellite is in somewhat of a low Earth orbit, your answer should not be tremendously less than ## a=g=9.8 ## m/sec^2 that you get at the surface of the earth. Try computing it and see what you get. ##\\ ## Additional note: For the mass in tonnes, I think you are assuming a metric ton.

Likes scottdave, Jan Berkhout and lekh2003
Jan Berkhout said:
The answers say 30N.
This answer seems miraculously wrong.

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
I would recommend using scientific notation, and also only keeping two or three significant figures, but I believe your answer for the force is correct. ## \\ ## For part (b), you have the correct equation, ## a=F/m ##. That is the acceleration of the spaceship, but that is the same as the astronaut's acceleration. Because acceleration due to gravity falls off as an inverse square as measured from the center of the earth, since this satellite is in somewhat of a low Earth orbit, your answer should not be tremendously less than ## a=g=9.8 ## m/sec^2 that you get at the surface of the earth. Try computing it and see what you get. ##\\ ## Additional note: For the mass in tonnes, I think you are assuming a metric ton.

I calulated part b and got 8.47m/s which seems right! I think the sheet has the answers for this question very wrong haha.

lekh2003 said:
This answer seems miraculously wrong.
Yes. It does indeed. I'm just going to go with saying the sheet is insanely incorrect.

Likes lekh2003 and Charles Link
For part (b) make sure you put it in the right units which is 8.47 m/sec^2.

Likes lekh2003

1. What exactly is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, pulling the object towards the center of the circle.

2. Why do I need to calculate centripetal force?

Calculating centripetal force allows you to determine the amount of force needed to keep an object moving in a circular path, and is essential in understanding the motion and stability of objects in circular motion.

3. How do I calculate centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is Fc = mv²/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What factors affect centripetal force?

The amount of centripetal force required depends on the mass of the object, the speed at which it is moving, and the radius of the circular path. The greater these values, the greater the centripetal force needed.

5. Why am I having trouble working out centripetal force?

There could be several reasons for having trouble working out centripetal force, including not understanding the concept, using incorrect values in the formula, or making a calculation error. It is important to carefully review your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formula and values.