Saving Output Files with HDSDR Software Using a Dongle

In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to record the displayed spectrum using HDHSDR software and a dongle. They have found a way to record sound, but not the spectrum. They have searched for information on how to do so, but without success. They mention that Alt+PrintScreen and Ctrl+PrintScreen can be used to capture the active window or full screen, respectively, and that the image is copied to the Clipboard. However, they clarify that they are not looking to capture the screen, but rather data to be processed later. They are still searching for a way to do so.
Ravaner
Hello. I use HDHSDR software with my dongle and I need to record displayed spectrum. I've found how to record sound (.wav) but not yet how to record spectrum in a way for instance {frequency, level}. I spent a lot of time in searching such an information but with no sucess.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Using Windows:
to capture the active window: use Alt+PrintScreen
to capture the full screen: use Ctrl+PrintScreen

The image is captured to the Clipbboard (as if you used Ctrl+C) and can be copied to graphics programs or some text editors using Ctrl+V.

to capture a video of the screen, you must use another program. Search Google for 'screen capture'

Thanks for reply, but my wish is not to capture screen but to capture data, to be able to process them later.

What is HDSDR software and how does it work?

HDSDR (High Definition Software Defined Radio) is a free software program used to receive and process radio signals on a computer. It allows users to tune into various frequencies and modes, and visualize the received signals on a spectrum display. HDSDR works by connecting a radio frequency (RF) dongle to a computer and using the software to control and process the received signals.

What is an RF dongle and how does it work with HDSDR software?

An RF dongle, also known as a software-defined radio (SDR) dongle, is a small device that connects to a computer via USB and allows the computer to receive and process radio signals. It works by converting RF signals into digital data that can be processed by the computer. In the case of HDSDR software, the dongle is used as the receiver and the software controls its settings and processes the received signals.

How do I save output files using HDSDR software?

To save output files with HDSDR software, follow these steps:

1. Open the HDSDR software on your computer.
  2. Tune to the desired frequency and mode.
  3. Click on the "REC" button to start recording the received signals.
  4. Once you have finished recording, click on the "REC" button again to stop the recording.
  5. Click on the "Save WAV" button to save the recorded output file to your desired location.

Note: You can also adjust the recording settings, such as sample rate and recording format, by clicking on the "ExtIO" button in the HDSDR software.

What are some common issues when saving output files with HDSDR software?

Some common issues when saving output files with HDSDR software include:

• Incorrect input/output settings: Make sure you have selected the correct input and output devices in the HDSDR software. You can check this by clicking on the "ExtIO" button.
  • Insufficient disk space: Make sure you have enough free space on your computer's hard drive to save the output file.
  • Corrupted output file: If the output file is not playing or is giving errors, it may have been corrupted during the recording process. Try recording again or using a different recording software.

Can I use HDSDR software with any RF dongle?

Yes, you can use HDSDR software with any RF dongle that is compatible with the software. However, it is recommended to use a dongle that supports the ExtIO protocol for better compatibility and performance. Some popular compatible dongles include the RTL-SDR, Airspy, and HackRF.