He I, He II and He III questions

• Thread starter MonsieurWise
  • Start date
In summary, your question is about drawing an energy level diagram for helium. He+ contains just 1 electron, so the energy levels would be for that one electron only. If you include a second outside electron, then you are actually talking about neutral He I.
MonsieurWise
Uh, I know my question seems highly stupid, but I think I somehow confused the cause of spectrum of these things, I don't know why...I'm getting a lot of confusion these days...
He I (neutral He) has 2 electrons, thus the emission is caused by both of them or one of them go up and back down, right?
He II (Singly ionized He) has 1 electron, but one more electron can come from the outside and then come and get down with the He II atom, then emit light too.
I can't tell the difference between the 2 lights emitted...One get up and get down, and one just get down, but so what? they all get down to the same level and emit the same wavelength, or do they?
And if so, He II have only 1 electron, but there is another electron ready to come...should the states be singlet and triplet instead of doublet like Hydrogen?
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please...someone help me... =.='. Is my question too hard to understand...?]

I'm not really sure what you are asking for.
Are you asking what transitions involving photons are allowed? Also, your title refers to He III, but your question does not.

Based on the last question, it seems like you are trying to consider an intial state with one electron and a final state with two electrons. This of course cannot happen with electrodynamics. You need to consider them both as two electron systems. The intial state may have only one bound electron, but there are still two electrons if you are considering interactions with a free electron to give you the final state with two bound electrons. Make sense?

So yes, a He+ ion with a single electron can be described with as a doublet state. But the whole system (He+ ion and a free electron) would be a singlet or triplet (or some superposition of course) as a whole. Take that initial state, throw on the operator you are interested in, and then put in the final state (He, having two bound electrons) ... this will give you the matrix element you appear to be looking for.

Does that help at all?
If not, can you please explain a bit more precisely what the question is.

Oh, Thank you so much. Your answer answer my question.
Now, My new question is: For drawing a energy level diagram of He+, do I draw it without the interaction of the "outside" electron, thus no effect of orbital angular quantum number l. Or should I draw it with the interaction with the "outside" electron, leading to the effect the orbital angular quantum number l make on the energy level? (I'm trying to draw an energy diagram explaining the spectrum of Helium)

He+ contains just 1 electron, so the energy levels would be for that one electron only.

If you include a second outside electron, then you are actually talking about neutral He I.

He I energy level diagrams typically involve excitation of just one electron.

For singly ionized helium, it has only one bound electron. The other unbound electron is far away and does not affect the energy levels of the bound electron. In this case, the energy levels of the bound electron (helium has Z = 2 protons) are Z^2 = 2^2 = 4 times the energy levels of neutral hydrogen (the binding energy of the electron in the 1s state is about 4 x 13.6 eV = 54.4 eV).
For neutral helium, there is normally one electron in the 1s state, and the other electron (if the atom is excited) in a higher bound state. There are two sets of energy levels; one for parahelium, and the other for orthohelium (see http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/helium.html). In one case (ortho), the spins of both electrons are aligned, and because of the Pauli exclusion principle, the second electron cannot transition to the ground state (1s shell). For the other case (para), there are no restrictions based on the Pauli exclusion principal.

1. What is the difference between He I, He II, and He III?

He I, He II, and He III refer to the different ionization states of the element helium. He I is the neutral form, with one electron. He II is singly ionized, with one electron removed. He III is doubly ionized, with two electrons removed.

2. How are He I, He II, and He III used in scientific research?

These different ionization states are important for studying the properties and behavior of helium in various environments, such as in stars and in laboratory experiments. They also play a role in understanding the evolution of the universe.

3. What are the energy levels of He I, He II, and He III?

The energy levels of these ionization states are determined by the number of electrons and their arrangement in the atom. He I has a ground state energy level of -78.975 eV, He II has a ground state energy level of -54.417 eV, and He III has a ground state energy level of -40.964 eV.

4. How can He I, He II, and He III be produced?

He I, He II, and He III can be produced through various methods, such as through the heating and excitation of helium gas, or through the collision of high-energy particles with helium atoms. They can also be produced in stars through nuclear fusion reactions.

5. What are some practical applications of He I, He II, and He III?

Helium is commonly used as a cooling agent in various scientific and medical equipment, such as MRI machines. Understanding the properties of different ionization states is important for optimizing the efficiency and effectiveness of these applications. Additionally, the study of helium in stars and the universe can provide insights into the nature and evolution of these systems.