Head-on collision between a neutron and stationary carbon atom.

In summary, the problem involves a head-on collision between a neutron and a stationary carbon nucleus in a nuclear reactor. The neutron has a speed of 11.0 Mm/s and the masses of the neutron and carbon nucleus are 1.67 × 10–27 kg and 20.0 × 10–27 kg respectively. The task is to calculate the speed of the neutron and carbon nucleus after the collision. Additionally, an unstable atomic nucleus decomposes into three particles, with masses of 5.00 × 10–27 kg and 8.40 × 10–27 kg, moving in the x and y directions with speeds of 6.00 Mm/s and 4.00 Mm/s,
ZombieJohn
Ok so my problem is I have absolutely no idea where to start. I have been able to figure out other problems but this I can't get my head around. I am unsure as to the equations I need to use for collisions and how to obtain the correct answer.

Homework Statement

A nuclear reactor (see below) contains nuclei that fission when bombarded by slow neutrons. The fission reaction produces fast neutrons which need to be moderated (i.e. slowed down) in collisions before they can cause further fissions. In this problem we consider a reactor which uses graphite (i.e. carbon) as moderator. Assume the neutron and carbon nuclear masses are 1.67 × 10–27 kg and 20.0 × 10–27 kg respectively.

Consider a head-on collision between a neutron with speed 11.0 Mm/s and a stationary carbon nucleus.

(i) Calculate the speed of the neutron after the collision Mm/s
(ii) Calculate the speed of the carbon nucleus after the collision Mm/s

(b) An unstable atomic nucleus of mass 17.0 × 10–27 kg which is at rest disintegrates into three particles. One of the particles, of mass 5.00 × 10–27 kg, moves in the y direction with speed 4.00 Mm/s. Another, with mass 8.40 × 10–27 kg, moves in the x direction with speed 6.00 Mm/s .

(i) Calculate the x component of velocity of the third particleMm/s

(ii) Calculate the y component of velocity of the third particle Mm/s

(iii) Calculate the kinetic energy released in the process fJ

Ok so my problem is I have absolutely no idea where to start. I have been able to figure out other problems but this I can't get my head around. I am unsure as to the equations I need to use for collisions and how to obtain the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think conservation: momentum and kinetic energy where appropriate. Your textbook should have a section on elastic collisions and so forth.

Related to Head-on collision between a neutron and stationary carbon atom.

1. What happens when a neutron collides head-on with a stationary carbon atom?

When a neutron collides head-on with a stationary carbon atom, a nuclear reaction occurs. The neutron will transfer energy to the carbon atom, causing it to break apart into smaller particles and release a significant amount of energy.

2. How does the energy released from the collision affect the surrounding environment?

The energy released from the collision can have a significant impact on the surrounding environment. It can cause radiation, create new elements, and potentially cause damage to nearby structures or living organisms.

3. Can a head-on collision between a neutron and a stationary carbon atom be controlled or harnessed?

Yes, scientists can control and harness the energy released from a head-on collision between a neutron and a stationary carbon atom in a process called nuclear fission. This is how nuclear power plants generate electricity.

4. What other types of collisions can occur between neutrons and atoms?

Neutrons can also collide with other atoms in different ways, such as a glancing collision or an off-center collision. These types of collisions can also result in nuclear reactions, but they may produce different outcomes than a head-on collision.

5. What is the significance of studying head-on collisions between neutrons and atoms?

Studying head-on collisions between neutrons and atoms is important for understanding nuclear reactions and the behavior of matter at a microscopic level. This knowledge can be applied in various fields, such as energy production, medicine, and research. It also helps us understand the origins of the universe and how elements are formed.