Heat Absorbed during a process on an Ideal Gas

In summary, when you decrease the volume of a gas, the work done on the gas is negative and the internal energy increases.
adammw111

Homework Statement

0.21 x 10-3 kmol of ideal gas occupy a volume of 5.0 x 10-3 m3 initially at a pressure of 1.2 x 105 Pa and temperature T.

The volume of the gas is first decreased to 2.0 x10-3 m3 at a constant pressure of 1.2 x 105 Pa, and then the pressure is increased to 3.0 x105 Pa at a constant volume of 2.0 x10-3 m3.

For this process, calculate:

A) The Work done on the gas

B) The Heat absorbed by the gas

Homework Equations

ΔU = Q - W
(where ΔU is change in internal energy, Q is Heat and W is work done by the gas)

U = n NA ([itex]\frac{1}{2} m \overline{v^2}[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{3}{2} R T[/itex]
where U is internal energy

W = p ( V2 - V1 ) (for isobaric process)
W = 0 (for isovolumetric process)

The Attempt at a Solution

A rough P-V diagram would look like:

[PLAIN]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5465/pvdiagram.png

A) Work done on the gas.

Work done is area under P-V curve.

W = p (V2 - V1) = - 1.2 x 105 x (2.0 x 10-3 - 5.0 x 10-3) = + 360 J

B) Heat absorbed by the gas.

ΔU = Q - W, therefore:
Q = ΔU + 360

However I don't know how to find ΔU and seem to be stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can calculate the internal energy from the temperature. Use the ideal gas law. How does the temperature change between the initial and final states?

ehild

Using [itex]\frac{P_1 V_1}{T_1} = \frac{P_2 V_2}{T_2}[/itex] (ideal gas law):
[itex]\frac{1.2 \times 10^5 \times 5.0 \times 10^-3}{T_{initial}} = \frac{3.0 \times 10^5 \times 2.0 \times 10^-3}{T_{final}}[/itex]
[itex]600 T_{initial} = 600 T_{final}[/itex]
[itex]T_{initial} = T_{final}[/itex]

Therefore as an isothermic process (constant temperature), ΔU = 0, Q=W.
So Q = 360 J.

Is this correct? The answers I have for this sample exam give -360 J instead.

W is the work of the gas. As the volume decreases in the first step, the work of the gas is negative, W=-360 J. At the same time, Q is the adsorbed heat. ΔU=Q-W(gas)=Q-(-360J)=0 --->Q=-360 J. Some external force does work on the gas, and the gas transfers heat to the surroundings.

ehild

I get it now...
I was getting confused because the question asked work done on the gas when my formulas are for work done by the gas, and so I used the wrong number/sign in the second part. Your explanation makes sense.

Thanks, ehild.

adammw111 said:
I get it now...
I was getting confused because the question asked work done on the gas when my formulas are for work done by the gas, and so I used the wrong number/sign in the second part. Your explanation makes sense.

Thanks, ehild.

You are welcome.

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that the internal energy increases by the amount of heat added to and by the work done on the gas: ΔU=Q+W. If the work is done very slowly, so the gas is very nearly in equilibrium with the external force, W=-PdV=-Wgas.

ehild

1. What is heat absorbed during a process on an Ideal Gas?

The heat absorbed during a process on an Ideal Gas is the amount of thermal energy that is transferred into the gas from its surroundings. This can occur through various processes such as compression, expansion, or heating at a constant pressure or volume.

2. How is the heat absorbed during a process on an Ideal Gas calculated?

The heat absorbed during a process on an Ideal Gas can be calculated using the formula Q = nCΔT, where Q is the heat absorbed, n is the number of moles of gas, C is the molar heat capacity of the gas at constant pressure or volume, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What factors affect the amount of heat absorbed during a process on an Ideal Gas?

The amount of heat absorbed during a process on an Ideal Gas is affected by the initial and final temperatures of the gas, the number of moles of gas, and the molar heat capacity of the gas at constant pressure or volume.

4. Can the heat absorbed during a process on an Ideal Gas be negative?

Yes, the heat absorbed during a process on an Ideal Gas can be negative if the gas releases thermal energy to its surroundings instead of absorbing it. This can occur during processes such as expansion or cooling at a constant pressure or volume.

5. How does the heat absorbed during a process on an Ideal Gas relate to the change in internal energy of the gas?

The heat absorbed during a process on an Ideal Gas is directly related to the change in internal energy of the gas. This is because internal energy is the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of the gas particles, which can change due to the absorption or release of heat. The change in internal energy (ΔU) is equal to the heat absorbed (Q) plus the work done (W) on the gas, according to the first law of thermodynamics: ΔU = Q + W.