Find Tank Wall Temp: Heat Conductivity & Loss Analysis

In summary, the tank holds water at 60 degrees Celsius and the outside temp. is 10 degrees Celsius. The thickness of the walls is 12mm. The goal is to find the temp. on the wall on the outside of the tank. The tank is filled with water and air and the heat flows per unit area are equal. The equation to find the temp. on the wall on the outside of the tank is \dot{Q}=h_1 \cdot A(T_1-T_w_1)
TSN79
A tank holds water at 60 degrees C. The outside temp. is 10. The thickness of the walls is 12mm. My goal is to find the temp on the wall on the outside of the tank. I've got some values I don't know the english name for, but hopefully you'll understand by the units.
[tex]\lambda[/tex] for steel is [tex]50\frac{W}{mK}[/tex]
h between water and tank is [tex]2700\frac{W}{m^2K}[/tex]
h between air and tank is [tex]15\frac{W}{m^2K}[/tex]

How do I go about it?? I also need to find the effect loss...

Physics news on Phys.org
How to go about it : The heat flowing per unit area from the water, Q, is equal to the heat received per unit area by the outside air (and is also equal to the heat conducted per unit area through the tank wall). Calculate each of these heat flows and equate them to each other.

I've already said too much... in the future, if you want help, you must show what you've tried and where you are stuck.

First I found the value which we in norwegian denote U [W/(m^2*K)]
[tex]U=\frac{1}{(1/h_1)+(\delta_1/\lambda_1)+(1/h_2)}[/tex]
Putting in the values this gives me U=14,86 W/(m^2*K)
Then I want to use the equation
[tex]\dot{Q}=U \cdot A(T_1-T_2)[/tex]
where A is the area of the tank wall, T1 and T2 are the temp. of the water and the air and Q is the energy that passes through the wall. The problem is that I don't have the area, I only have the thickness of the wall, 0,012m. If I did know A, then I could calculate Q, and use this equation
[tex]\dot{Q}=h_1 \cdot A(T_1-T_w_1)[/tex]
to find [tex]T_w_1[/tex] which is the temp. at the outside of the tank wall.
The funny thing is that if I follow this procedure and use my value for thickness istead of area, the answer comes out right (!), though the unit of the answer isn't correct. By the way, the answer is 59,5 degrees C.
What am doing wrong? Is there some other equation I should be using?

1. What is the purpose of the "Find Tank Wall Temp: Heat Conductivity & Loss Analysis"?

The purpose of this analysis is to determine the temperature of the walls of a tank and to assess the heat conductivity and loss of the tank. This information is important for understanding the energy efficiency and potential heat loss of the tank.

2. How is the temperature of the tank walls determined?

The temperature of the tank walls is determined through a series of calculations and measurements. The analysis takes into account factors such as the temperature of the liquid inside the tank, the material and thickness of the tank walls, and the surrounding temperature and environment.

3. What is heat conductivity and why is it important?

Heat conductivity is a measure of how well a material can transfer heat. In the context of this analysis, it refers to how well the tank walls can transfer heat from the liquid inside to the surrounding environment. It is an important factor to consider in order to assess the efficiency and potential heat loss of the tank.

4. How is heat loss calculated in this analysis?

Heat loss is calculated by taking into account the temperature difference between the tank walls and the surrounding environment, the surface area of the tank walls, and the heat conductivity of the tank walls. This calculation provides an estimate of the amount of heat that is lost from the tank to its surroundings.

5. What are the potential applications of this analysis?

This analysis can be useful in various industries and fields, such as engineering, energy management, and environmental science. It can help in designing and optimizing the efficiency of tanks and other containers, as well as in understanding and reducing energy loss in different systems and processes.