Calculating temperature and heat flow in a wall

In summary, an expert summarizer of content found that the wall has a thermal resistance of 3.714°K/W and a thermal conductivity of ≈0.27W/°K.
bohire

Homework Statement

Consider the following multi-layer wall consisting of an interior insulation layer and an external light-weight concrete layer. Calculate the heat flow thorugh the structure and the temperature at the interface between the two materials.

Layer 1: Thermal insulation; Thickness (d): 100mm; λ: 0.033W/mK
Layer 2: Light-weight concrete; Thickness (d): 100mm; λ: 0.14W/mK

Homework Equations

Heat flow: Q=K*(T1-T2) [W] (But no temperature is given in the question)
Conductance: K=λ*A/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to get there but the answer is Q=40.1W and Tm=-4.3C°.
I don't know which equations to use because there is no temperature nor wall area given in the question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula for conductance is wrong, it should be λ/d (dimensional analysis). So the thermal resistance is d/λ, giving Rθ1=0.1/0.033°K/W≈3°K/W and Rθ2=0.1/0.14°K/W=0.714°K/W. Thus the wall has a thermal resistance of 3.714°K/W⇒thermal conductivity of ≈0.27W/°K.

Svein said:
Your formula for conductance is wrong, it should be λ/d (dimensional analysis). So the thermal resistance is d/λ, giving Rθ1=0.1/0.033°K/W≈3°K/W and Rθ2=0.1/0.14°K/W=0.714°K/W. Thus the wall has a thermal resistance of 3.714°K/W⇒thermal conductivity of ≈0.27W/°K.
Thank you Svein but do you know where I go from there? I still need to find the heat flow and temperature between the materials.

Actually, your equation for the conductance was correct, and Svein was not correct. He was mistaking Q for the heat flux rather than the total heat flow.

The key to this problem is recognizing that the same rate of heat flow Q passes through both wall layers. So you can do each wall separately, and then combine the results to get the heat flow Q and then the temperature Tm between the materials. Let layer 1 be to the left, and let layer 2 be to the right. The two temperatures across wall 1 are TL and Tm, and the two temperature across wall 2 are Tm and TR. Write your heat conduction equation (algebraically) for each of these layers, using the same Q for each. Now, for each layer, solve for the temperature difference across the layer. Then add the temperature differences together to eliminate Tm. This will give you an equation that you can use to solve for Q. Let's see what you come up with.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Actually, your equation for the conductance was correct, and Svein was not correct.
OK. The last time I did heat flow was in 1964.

Thank you for your answer Chet, this is how far I get
K11*A/d1=0.033A/0.1=0.33A
K22*A/d2=0.14A/0.1=1.4A

Q=0.33A(TL-TM)=1.4A(TM-TR)
Not sure if I'm supposed to do the rest or how I'm supposed to eliminate TM
1.4/0.33≈4.24
TL-TM=4.24(TM-TR)
... TM=(TL+4.24TR)/5.4
Then I'm pretty much stuck..

Last edited:
bohire said:
Thank you for your answer Chet, this is how far I get
K11*A/d1=0.033A/0.1=0.33A
K22*A/d2=0.14A/0.1=1.4A

Q=0.33A(TL-TM)=1.4A(TM-TR)
Not sure if I'm supposed to do the rest or how I'm supposed to eliminate TM
1.4/0.33≈4.24
TL-TM=4.24(TM-TR)
... TM=(TL+4.24TR)/5.4
Then I'm pretty much stuck..
Didn't they tell you what TL and TR are equal to? How do they expect you to do the problem if they don't tell you the inside and outside wall temperatures?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Didn't they tell you what TL and TR are equal to? How do they expect you to do the problem if they don't tell you the inside and outside wall temperatures?
No and that is exactly why I'm struggling to solve it

I also tried this
from Q=0.33A(TL-TM)=1.4A(TM-TR)
I get TM=TL-Q/0.33A And TM=Q/(1.4A)-TR
⇒TL-Q/0.33A=Q/(1.4A)-TR ... ⇒ Q=(A/3.74)(TL-TR)
But the problem with the missing temperatures still remains.. Do you think that the question might be fault or impossible to solve because no temperature is given?

bohire said:
No and that is exactly why I'm struggling to solve it

I also tried this
from Q=0.33A(TL-TM)=1.4A(TM-TR)
I get TM=TL-Q/0.33A And TM=Q/(1.4A)-TR
⇒TL-Q/0.33A=Q/(1.4A)-TR ... ⇒ Q=(A/3.74)(TL-TR)
But the problem with the missing temperatures still remains.. Do you think that the question might be fault or impossible to solve because no temperature is given?
Undoubtedly.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Undoubtedly.

Chet
Well that's pretty irritating.. I also see now that all the other exercises in the same chapter do give us interior and exterior temperatures. Anyway thank you for your time and have a good day.

The temperatures aren't the only thing missing.

How can the answer be 40.1W if they don't give you the area of the walls? I believe the answer should be in W/m^2 (Watts per square meter).

CWatters said:
The temperatures aren't the only think missing.

How can the answer be 40.1W if they don't give you the area of the walls? I believe the answer should be in W/m^2 (Watts per square meter).
I have no idea but I doubble checked and 40.1W is the answer given. All that is given in the question is in my original post. I guess Carl-Eric Hagentoft (author of the book) is to blame for coming up with a nonsense exercise.

Not unusual for there to be errors in books. Is there an earlier problem that might have provided the temperatures and wall area?

CWatters said:
Not unusual for there to be errors in books. Is there an earlier problem that might have provided the temperatures and wall area?
Yes, all the other ones in that chapter did.

1. How is temperature calculated in a wall?

Temperature in a wall is calculated using the formula Q = kA(T1 - T2) / L, where Q is the heat flow, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the cross-sectional area, T1 and T2 are the temperatures on either side of the wall, and L is the thickness of the wall.

2. What is heat flow and how is it related to temperature?

Heat flow is the transfer of thermal energy from a warmer object to a cooler object. In the context of a wall, heat flow is the movement of heat from one side of the wall to the other. The temperature difference between the two sides of the wall (T1 - T2) determines the rate of heat flow.

3. How does the thermal conductivity of a material affect heat flow in a wall?

The thermal conductivity of a material is a measure of its ability to conduct heat. Materials with higher thermal conductivity will allow for more heat flow through the wall, while materials with lower thermal conductivity will impede heat flow. This is why materials with higher thermal conductivity, such as metals, are often used to construct walls that need to regulate temperature.

4. Can heat flow in a wall be controlled?

Yes, heat flow in a wall can be controlled by adjusting the thickness and thermal conductivity of the materials used. Additionally, insulating materials can be added to the wall to reduce heat flow and regulate temperature.

5. What is the difference between heat flow and heat transfer?

Heat flow refers to the movement of thermal energy from one side of a wall to the other, while heat transfer is the overall exchange of thermal energy between two objects. In the context of a wall, heat transfer involves both the heat flow through the wall and any heat transfer between the wall and the surrounding environment.