Heat Content of CNG - Is 47.8 MJ/kg Correct?

• Thread starter boka33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, when calculating radiant heat for CNG being vented, the recommended number to use for heat content is 47.8 MJ/kg, which is the higher heating value. Online sources such as the National Renewable Energy Laboratory or the Gas Technology Institute can provide a directory of heat content values.
boka33
Working on a radiant heat calculation for CNG exiting a blow down stack (in case it was to flare).

Part of the calculation requires the heat content of the gas, and I am unsure of what number to use.

47.8 MJ/kg is the number I am currently using, but I am unsure if this is correct. This number was given as the heat content for CNG (which is what I am considering). However, by the time it is vented, is it not longer considered compressed natural gas?

Any ideas on what number I should use, and where is a good directory of heat content values?

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Yes, you should use 47.8 MJ/kg as the heat content of CNG. This number is the higher heating value (HHV) of the gas, which is the amount of energy available when burned in a combustion process. If you are looking for a directory of heat content values, there are many online sources available, such as the National Renewable Energy Laboratory website or the Gas Technology Institute website.

I would suggest using the most accurate and up-to-date data available for the heat content of CNG. This information can be found in various sources such as scientific journals, government publications, and industry reports. It is important to consider the source of the data and make sure it is from a reputable and reliable source.

Additionally, it is important to note that the heat content of CNG can vary depending on factors such as composition, pressure, and temperature. Therefore, it may be helpful to consult with experts or conduct your own experiments to determine the most accurate heat content for the specific CNG being used in your calculation.

In terms of a directory of heat content values, I recommend consulting with industry organizations such as the American Gas Association or the International Association for Natural Gas Vehicles. They may have databases or resources available that can provide accurate and updated heat content values for CNG.

Overall, it is crucial to use accurate and reliable data in scientific calculations to ensure the validity and accuracy of your results. I hope this helps and good luck with your calculation.

1. What is CNG?

CNG stands for compressed natural gas. It is a type of fuel that is made by compressing natural gas to less than 1% of its volume at standard atmospheric pressure.

2. How is the heat content of CNG determined?

The heat content of CNG is determined by measuring the amount of energy that is released when it is burned. This is typically measured in units of megajoules per kilogram (MJ/kg).

3. Is 47.8 MJ/kg the correct heat content for CNG?

According to most sources, the heat content of CNG is around 47.8 MJ/kg. However, this value can vary depending on the source and quality of the natural gas used to produce the CNG.

4. How does the heat content of CNG compare to other fuels?

CNG has a lower heat content compared to other fossil fuels, such as gasoline or diesel. However, it still has a relatively high energy density and can be a cost-effective and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional fuels.

5. Why is it important to know the heat content of CNG?

Knowing the heat content of CNG is important for several reasons. It allows for accurate measurements of fuel efficiency, helps with proper engine tuning, and is necessary for calculating the amount of CNG needed for a specific vehicle or application.