1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat diffusion equation solutions for semi-infinite slab

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1082/clipboard01lx.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

(see solution)

3. The attempt at a solution

I literary just spent 5 hours trying to apply those boundary conditions, trying exponentials, sines, cosines, hyperbolic function etc... I always get complex numbers in the final solution :( but it's not physical to get complex numbers there :(
    Note: Aw and Bw are just constants (w is an index).

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4475/94889151.jpg [Broken]
    Any ideas where I went wrong? General solution seems fine, maybe I'm misunderstanding the boundary conditions? And in my final answer I tried expanding [tex]\sqrt{i}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}i[/tex] and then using cos(A+B) formula and writing the result using hyperbolic sines and cosines, but it's still complex :(
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2

Perhaps a substitution for cos(wt) (allow w = omega)

So now you have q = q(0) cos(wt) at the boundary, where q(0) is the amplitude of the heat flux and omega is the circular frequency.

Substitute q(0)R(e^iwt) where R = the real part for the original equation of q(0) = cos(wt).

I worked this problem out as it is given in Transport Phenomena by Bird Stewart and Lightfoot and they suggested this substitution. (Actually it is given as an example, but quite a few steps are missing.)

If you have already done that and I have overlooked it in your somewhat hard to follow layout above, I apologize.

I will have to dig my notes out on this one later this evening to really provide you with some help.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook