Heat diffusion with source

In summary, when solving problems involving the 1-D heat equation, the substitutions \theta = \frac{E}{RT_a^2}(T-T_a) and x = L*b are commonly used to make the equations dimensionless. The first substitution is based on the Arrhenius factor, while the second substitution simplifies the mathematics.
squaremeplz

Homework Statement

a material occupies -L < x < L and has uniform ambient temperature T_a. A chemical reaction begins within the body leading to the 1-d heat equation:

[tex] pc \frac {\partial{T}}{\partial{t}} = k \frac {\partial^2{T}}{\partial{x^2}} + pQAe^\frac{-E}{RT} [/tex]

with BC and IC

[tex] T(+/- L, t) = T_a [/tex] and [tex] T(x,0) = T_a [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The book gives the following substitutions without any justification

[tex] \theta = \frac{E}{RT_a^2}(T-T_a) [/tex] and [tex] x = L*b [/tex]

and arrives at the following linear equation

[tex] L^2 \frac {pc}{k} { \frac {\partial{\theta}}{\partial{t}} = \frac {\partial^2{\theta}}{\partial{b^2}} + z*e^\frac{\theta}{1+y\theta} [/tex]

then it asks to give the equations for z and y.

However, before I begin to solve this problem.. I would love to understand where the substitutions

[tex] \theta = \frac{E}{RT_a^2}(T-T_a) [/tex] and [tex] x = L*b [/tex]

came from. I presume that x = L*b is used to make x dimensionless.. but what about theta?

Im pretty sure I know how to solve the problem (seperation of variables on the last eq.) , but I really don't understand the substitutions. It seems that whoever wrote the book solved the problem first and then realized the substitutions were a good fit. Any information (about the substitutions) is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The substitutions \theta = \frac{E}{RT_a^2}(T-T_a) and x = L*b are commonly used in solving problems involving the 1-D heat equation. Let me explain the reasoning behind these substitutions.

Firstly, let's look at the term e^\frac{-E}{RT} in the heat equation. This term is known as the Arrhenius factor and it represents the effect of temperature on the rate of a chemical reaction. As you can see, it is dependent on the ratio \frac{E}{RT}. Now, in order to make this term dimensionless, we can divide it by T_a, the ambient temperature. This gives us \frac{E}{RT_a}. If we further divide by T_a, we get \frac{E}{RT_a^2}. This is the coefficient that is used in the substitution for \theta.

Now, let's look at the term x = L*b. As you correctly noted, this is used to make x dimensionless. However, it is not just any arbitrary substitution. In fact, b is known as the dimensionless variable and it is defined as \frac{x}{L}. This means that when x = L, b = 1 and when x = -L, b = -1. This substitution is commonly used in solving problems involving the heat equation because it simplifies the mathematics and makes the problem easier to solve.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the reasoning behind these substitutions. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with solving the problem!

1. What is heat diffusion with source?

Heat diffusion with source is a mathematical model that describes how heat spreads and changes over time in a medium with a given heat source. It takes into account factors such as the initial temperature, heat source intensity, and the physical properties of the medium.

2. How is heat diffusion with source different from regular heat diffusion?

The main difference is the inclusion of a heat source in the model. In regular heat diffusion, the initial temperature is the only factor affecting the spread of heat. In heat diffusion with source, the heat source can increase or decrease the temperature in certain areas, leading to a more complex and dynamic heat distribution.

3. What are some practical applications of heat diffusion with source?

Heat diffusion with source is used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and chemistry. It can be used to study heat transfer in materials, design heating and cooling systems, and analyze thermal properties of substances.

4. How is heat diffusion with source calculated?

The mathematical equations for heat diffusion with source can be solved using numerical methods or analytical techniques. In general, the equations involve finding the rate of change of temperature at a given point in the medium, taking into account the heat source and other relevant factors.

5. What are some limitations of heat diffusion with source?

Heat diffusion with source assumes that the medium is homogeneous and isotropic, meaning that its properties are the same in all directions. This may not be the case in real-world scenarios, leading to inaccuracies in the model. Additionally, the model does not take into account factors such as convection or radiation, which can also affect heat transfer.