Heat engine/max height person can climb

In summary: The formula for efficiency is discussed and Brad is advised to use the work it takes to overcome gravity as a rough estimate. In summary, Brad is looking for a way to estimate the maximum height a person can climb in one day based on their daily energy needs and the efficiency of a heat engine.
Bradracer18
Ok guys, I can't seem to get started on this one. A little starter would be nice if you can...and I'll try from there.

Assume that a hiker needs 4000 kcal of energy to supply a day's worth of metabolism. Estimate the maximum height the person can climb in one day, using only this amount of energy. As a rough prediction, treat the person as an isolated heat engine, operating between the internal temperature of 37 deg C and the ambient air temperature of 20 deg C.

Thanks,
Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the formula for the efficiency of a heat engine?

e = 1 - Q(low)/Q(high)

I think that is it...but don't know how this helps me.

Replace those Q's by T's, and you have what you need. Then you know what fraction of the stored energy can be put into useful work. All you need then is to know how much work it takes to go up a certain height. They probably want you to just use the work it takes to overcome gravity, ie, the potential energy change (although realistically, this is only a small fraction of the total work done, otherwise it would be possible to walk on a flat plane for miles without burning a calorie).

OK...I'll try that and see what I come up with...thank you, you've been very helpful!

Brad

What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts thermal energy into mechanical energy. It typically consists of a working fluid, a heat source, and a heat sink. The working fluid undergoes a thermodynamic cycle, such as the Carnot cycle, to produce work.

How does a heat engine work?

A heat engine works by taking in thermal energy from a heat source, converting it into mechanical energy, and then releasing the remaining energy to a heat sink. The process of converting thermal energy into mechanical energy is done through a series of thermodynamic processes, such as compression, expansion, and heat exchange.

What factors affect the efficiency of a heat engine?

The efficiency of a heat engine is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the heat source and heat sink, the type of working fluid used, and the design and construction of the engine. Generally, higher temperature differences and more efficient working fluids result in higher efficiency.

What is the maximum height a person can climb using a heat engine?

The maximum height a person can climb using a heat engine depends on the efficiency of the engine and the weight of the person. Assuming a 100% efficient heat engine and an average weight of 70kg, a person could theoretically climb an infinite height. However, in reality, the efficiency of a heat engine is limited and the person's weight would also play a role in the maximum height they could climb.

Are there any real-life applications of heat engines in climbing?

While heat engines are not commonly used in climbing, there have been some experiments and prototypes of heat-powered ascenders that utilize a heat engine to assist climbers in ascending ropes. These devices use the heat generated from the climber's hands to power the ascent, reducing fatigue and strain on the climber's muscles.