Can You Explain How Heat Engines Work?

In summary, a heat engine is a device that uses heat to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. Different types of heat engines use different mechanisms to do this, but all of them involve some form of temperature change.
UrbanXrisis
Can someone explain to me how Heat engines work?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are *lots* of different types of heat engines. Some - like Peltier junctions - involve complicated mechanisms.

Stirling cycle engines rely on using gas expansion. You should be able google and find something much better than what you will get from me in a post.

Any fuel burning engine that you've seen qualifies as a heat engine.

you see, I really don't get it. My physics teacher told me that heat engines formed a PV diagram...looked like a rectangle. There was an increase in pressure...he said it was abiabatic. Then increase in volume, he said it was isobaric. Then abiabatic, then isobaric. And now we are back at step one. My question is, in a PV diagram, how can you have a change in pressure when there is no heat added to it? What causes that change?

Originally posted by UrbanXrisis
you see, I really don't get it. My physics teacher told me that heat engines formed a PV diagram...looked like a rectangle. There was an increase in pressure...he said it was abiabatic. Then increase in volume, he said it was isobaric. Then abiabatic, then isobaric. And now we are back at step one. My question is, in a PV diagram, how can you have a change in pressure when there is no heat added to it? What causes that change?

PV= NRT. Change the volume of course! (You do it slowly so that any temperature change conducts to the outside air.)

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
PV= NRT. Change the volume of course! (You do it slowly so that any temperature change conducts to the outside air.)

Halls - heat and temperature are not the same thing. What you're describing allows heat to flow in from the outside environment if the volume is increasing. (That's why, for example, rapidly expanding gasses cool things.)

Urban - Do you know what type of heat engine your teacher was trying to describe? The typical theoretical device is a Carnot Cycle engine, but there are many others like the Otto Cycle or the Rakine Cycle which describe automotive and steam engines.

A Carnot cycle involves Adiabatic compression and expansion, and Isothermal compression and expansion. There are no isobaric phases in a Carnot cycle.

Yes, he is talking about the Carnot cycle. I just don't understand. You say that there is a change in volume, but what outside force causes it?

The idea is that you get work out of transporting heat from one reservoir to another.

For the carnot cycle, the outside force that you describe is an 'implementation detail.' Its more of what an ideal engine *should* do.

In practice, engine design is an attempt to create a mechanism for introducing these outside forces that you describe.

Could you please explain the isothermal compression and expansion of the carnot cycle?

Could you please explain the isothermal compression and expansion of the carnot cycle?

In a carnot cycle you've got temperature reservoirs at temperatures [tex]T_1[/tex] and [tex]T_2[/tex]. What happens is that the working gas is compressed or expanded while it stays in thermal equilbrium with one of the temperature reservoirs.

Where power needs to be applied depends on what the carnot engine is being used for, and the carnot engine.

My physics teacher told me that heat engines formed a PV diagram...looked like a rectangle. There was an increase in pressure...he said it was abiabatic. Then increase in volume, he said it was isobaric. Then abiabatic, then isobaric.
A rectangle on a PV diagram is inconsistant with these strok descriptions. Two opposing strokes (the isobars) will be parallel to each other on the PV diagram, but the adiabatic strokes will not be parallel (at least, I can't think of a case in which they both would be). In order to make a rectangle, you would need to replace the adiabats with isochors.

is there any good sites where they give a detailed description of the heat engine?

1. What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical work. It typically utilizes the principles of thermodynamics to transfer heat from a hot source to a colder sink, resulting in the production of useful work.

2. How do heat engines work?

Heat engines work by utilizing a working substance, such as a gas or liquid, to absorb heat from a hot source and then release it to a colder sink. This transfer of heat causes the working substance to expand and produce mechanical work.

3. What is the difference between a heat engine and a heat pump?

A heat engine produces work by transferring heat from a hot source to a colder sink, while a heat pump transfers heat from a colder source to a hotter sink. In other words, a heat engine is used to produce energy, while a heat pump is used to transfer energy.

4. What are the types of heat engines?

There are two main types of heat engines: external combustion engines and internal combustion engines. External combustion engines, such as steam engines, use an external heat source to heat the working substance. Internal combustion engines, such as gasoline engines, use a fuel-air mixture that is ignited inside the engine to produce heat.

5. What are the practical applications of heat engines?

Heat engines have a wide range of practical applications, including power generation, transportation, and industrial processes. They are used in various forms, such as steam turbines, gas turbines, and internal combustion engines, to power vehicles, generate electricity, and produce heat for industrial processes.