Heat, Movement, and Time Travel: Exploring the Mysteries of the Universe

In summary, movement is when molecules are moved around. This random motion generates heat, which is why when you move something quickly, it generates less heat than if you move it slowly.
Bugge
Now, I am very dull, but something that has made me ponder for quite some time is movement and how you define it. As I've understood the movement of the atoms is what can make an object feel cold or warm or maybe even painful, and when you drop an icecube in a cup of water it will cool down because the atoms of the icecube attracts the heat or stops the movement of the surrounding water atoms (Well, maybe not exactly, but I am not very sure how to explain it, and even less sure if I am right). Is this somewhat partially correct? If it is, how come when you run or move something very fast, that very little heat is generated? I mean, since movement is the same as atoms being moved around, should the heat generated not be much more noticeable?

Also, I posted a topic long ago about timetravel, and I just checked it. I have been unable to answer it until recently - all thanks to our excellent ISP. I'd like to say thank you for your answers, and there was some pretty interesting links. Way over my head, but the little pieces I understood so far has been very helpful.

Thanks in advance :-)

Bugge

Science news on Phys.org
Bugge said:
If it is, how come when you run or move something very fast, that very little heat is generated? I mean, since movement is the same as atoms being moved around, should the heat generated not be much more noticeable?
'Heat' is the random motion of molecules. An object sits motionless on a table, yet its molecules are in constant motion. If you increase its temperature, the random motion becomes faster.

But just moving something as a whole does not affect the random motion of its molecules.

Thank you for the simple answer :-) But if you get a whip over your fingers, for instance, it will feel warm (And quite painful aswell) for quite some time. Is this affecting the random movement of the molecules then, or is it just a "response" from your body?

Bugge said:
But if you get a whip over your fingers
What do you mean?

Bugge said:
But if you get a whip over your fingers, for instance, it will feel warm (And quite painful aswell) for quite some time. Is this affecting the random movement of the molecules then, or is it just a "response" from your body?
Assuming that you mean your fingers are hit by a whip, then some of the energy of the whip will end up going into random thermal motion of your fingers. But what you feel is mainly a biological response.

Exactly what I meant. Sorry, I keep mixing Danish and English together. Thanks for the answer :-)

Bugge

Related to Heat, Movement, and Time Travel: Exploring the Mysteries of the Universe

1. What is heat and how does it affect the universe?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. It plays a crucial role in the universe as it drives various processes such as convection, radiation, and conduction. Heat also plays a role in the formation of stars and galaxies.

2. Can heat be created or destroyed?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This applies to heat as well, meaning that it cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one object to another.

3. What is the relationship between heat and movement?

Heat and movement are closely related as heat is the result of the movement of particles. When particles are heated, they gain energy and start moving faster, which leads to an increase in temperature. On the other hand, when particles lose energy, they move slower and the temperature decreases.

4. Is time travel possible?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the possibility of time travel. The laws of physics, such as the theory of relativity, suggest that time travel would require immense amounts of energy and the manipulation of space-time, which is currently beyond our technological capabilities.

5. How does time travel relate to the mysteries of the universe?

Time travel is often explored in science fiction as a means to explore the mysteries of the universe, such as the origins of the universe or the possibility of alternate realities. While it is currently not possible, the concept of time travel raises interesting questions and theories about the nature of time and the universe.