Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Pump Design

1. Jan 12, 2013 #1
    Hey guys,

I'm looking at designing a heat pump system that uses CO2 as the working fluid. I'm not exactly sure how to pick the components that I need like a compressor, expansion valve, etc. Im trying to create an experimental device that will work in conjunction with my CO2 thermosyphon to take heat from low temperature sources.

Is there a design guide?
    Does anyone know of a manufacturer of such components or prebuilt assemblies?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2013 #2
    Nobody has an idea? Im stuck beyond stuck. Havent dealt with this kind of thing before and it hard to find resources.

4. Jan 15, 2013 #3

etudiant

Gold Member

CO2 is a tricky fluid for heat pump use because of its properties such as freezing on expansion. Your project sounds interesting, but why use CO2 as the working fluid when there is a mountain of experience with fluorocarbons, which are not much more demanding in terms of temperature range?

5. Jan 15, 2013 #4
    Trying something different, higher COP, smaller components. Looking to go green. We are realizing however that its a bit out of our league right now. Would you have any resources for designing a heat pump (sizing components and what not) for using R134A as the working fluid?

6. Jan 15, 2013 #5

etudiant

Gold Member

I'm not sufficiently involved with the engineering to help, but would think that the national labs would be your first stop. They are interested in energy efficient heating/cooling and do work on the engineering details in an open framework, unlike the Carriers and such. A quick Google gave this link for a start:
    http://www.ornl.gov/sci/ees/etsd/btric/eere_research_reports/electrically_driven_heat_pumps/advanced_cycle_development/air_to_air_single_speed/ornl_conf_810101_5/ornl_conf_810101_5.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Jan 15, 2013 #6
    Thanks for the help. I'm going to have to go to my Project supervisor for some serious advice. I think I'm in a little over my head.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook