1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat pumps

1. Aug 13, 2011 #1
    could you explain me the working of a heat pump or a refrigerator

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2011 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That's a big request - have you read the wiki yet?

4. Aug 13, 2011 #3
  5. Aug 13, 2011 #4
    pretty simple something is compressed like freon or ammonium it gets really cold from this compression and losses energy this is how a AC works. How ever with conservation of energy that loss of energy must go someplace heat is where it goes. So a heat pump is something that just movies heat around like a pump.

6. Aug 14, 2011 #5
    Actually, you kind of have that backwards. You compress a gas, which causes it to heat up in accordance with your favorite gas law (I like PV=nRT). If you're trying to chill something, you obviously perform this process on an the other side of an insulated barrier from what you want chilled. Over time, the compressed gas' heat dissipates into the surroundings, and you then pump the compressed gas over to what you want chilled. Then you decompress the gas, and since P and T are directly proportional, the temperature of the gas decreases as pressure decreases.

7. Aug 14, 2011 #6
    AHH you are right kinda like when i run out of CO2 in my paintball gun my arm freezes to it. Not only did I have it back words but you just answered on of my longest held questions how in the hell does a RV fridge work by burning propane. This is why i joined this site to help people learn, but more so i can learn things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook