Heat rate flow through bar? and thermal conductivity

In summary: C, and the temperature at the top of the of the lower part is...5CThe Q through the lower part of the bar is the same as the Q through the top part of the bar. You calculated the Q through the top part of the bar correctly. So now you know the Q through the lower part of the bar. But you still haven't told me what the temperature is at the top of the lower part of the bar. That is critical information in order to solve for the thermal conductivity of the lower part of the bar.omc1:Now that we have the Q through the lower part of the bar (which is the same as the Q through the top part of the bar
omc1

Homework Statement

A hot reservoir is maintained at a temperature of 78 oC, and a cold reservoir is maintained at a temperature of 5oC. They are separated by 11.00 cm, and are connected by a cylindrical bar made of two materials. The radius of the bar is 0.83 cm. The upper part of the bar is made of yellow brass (k = 220 W/(moC)), and has a length of 1.10 cm. The lower part's material is unknown. The temperature where the two materials are in thermal contact is 77.4875 oC. What is the rate of heat flow through the bar?
then find the thermal conductivity?

Homework Equations

q=KA(deltaT)/L

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to use this equation to find the heat flow, and then I tried to set this equation to find the K for the other substance but its not working...thanks for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
omc1 said:

Homework Statement

A hot reservoir is maintained at a temperature of 78 oC, and a cold reservoir is maintained at a temperature of 5oC. They are separated by 11.00 cm, and are connected by a cylindrical bar made of two materials. The radius of the bar is 0.83 cm. The upper part of the bar is made of yellow brass (k = 220 W/(moC)), and has a length of 1.10 cm. The lower part's material is unknown. The temperature where the two materials are in thermal contact is 77.4875 oC. What is the rate of heat flow through the bar?
then find the thermal conductivity?

Homework Equations

q=KA(deltaT)/L

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to use this equation to find the heat flow, and then I tried to set this equation to find the K for the other substance but its not working...thanks for help!

Not good enough. You need to show more of your work. I assume the hot reservoir is at the top, and the cold one is at the bottom. What are the temperatures at the two ends of the 1.1 cm yellow brass section? What is the rate of heat flow through this section?

yes the hot one is at the top, I tried it two different ways because I am confused about this problem but both ways i tried it got me similar answers, for the the heat flow I plugged in the numbers but for delta T I first used 77.4875, then I used 78-5, but both are wrong. for the second part I did KA(deltaT)/L= KA(deltaT)/L, but I sont understand this problem...

omc1 said:
yes the hot one is at the top, I tried it two different ways because I am confused about this problem but both ways i tried it got me similar answers, for the the heat flow I plugged in the numbers but for delta T I first used 77.4875, then I used 78-5, but both are wrong. for the second part I did KA(deltaT)/L= KA(deltaT)/L, but I sont understand this problem...

I asked you what the temperatures are at the two ends of the 1.1 cm yellow brass section, and you haven't answered me. You will never get delta T correct if you are unable to answer this question.

This conduction problem is analogous to the problem of two electrical resistors connected in series across a voltage drop.

Hi omc1,

Remember that you can view kA/L as a resistance, and the bar of differing materials would be "resistors" in series. So (k1A/L1) + (k2A/L2) = (kA/L)total

You will have to build three separate equations from this information, combine and solve for k2 first then solve for your total q

-Mark

edit: Chestermiller beat me to it!

mpreds said:
Hi omc1,

Remember that you can view kA/L as a resistance, and the bar of differing materials would be "resistors" in series. So (k1A/L1) + (k2A/L2) = (kA/L)total

You will have to build three separate equations from this information, combine and solve for k2 first then solve for your total q

-Mark

edit: Chestermiller beat me to it!

Mark, you've kinda got it inverted. kA/L is a conductance, not a resistance. The equations you have written are for two bars in parallel, not series.

omc1:

To get the rate of heat flow through the bar (part A of your problem), you only need to focus on the 1.1 cm yellow brass portion. Can you solve the following problem:

I have a 1.1 cm long bar 0.83 cm in radius, made out of a material with a thermal conductivity of 220 W/(m C). The temperature at one end of the bar is held fixed at 78 C, and the temperature at the other end of the bar is held fixed at 77.4875 C. What is the rate of heat flow through the bar (in watts)?

sorry i did not see that question when you first posted it, the temperature at the top of the yellow brass is 78C and at the bottom of the yellow brass it is 77.4875C.
I used that for delta t and got the right answer...iam not sure why the cold temperature is not used because the bar is connected to the cold and the hot...
for the second part i set it up to solve for K2, i fount the Q for the yellow brass, but iam not sure about the total Q?

The exact same Q goes through the lower part of the bar. What are the temperatures at the two ends of the lower part of the bar? What is the Q through the lower part of the bar.

I hope you realize this problem is the same as taking two separate bars and gluing them together. You know what the temperatures are at the two ends of each of the two sections. Both sections have to have the same heat flow rate through them. After all, where else is the heat going to go?

ok, Q through the lower part of the bar is the same as through the top par...the temperature at the lower end is 77.4875 and 5C. so Q=K2*A*deltaT/L2
L2=9.90cm, Q=2.22W, deltaT=77.4875-5

Yes. Now solve your equation for K2.

ok, double check me on this because it is saying that it is wrong, (2.218)*(.099)/(pi*.0083^2)*(77.4875-5)=13.997 W/mC

I get the same answer as you. I'm pretty confident we did it correctly.

yup we did, computer wanted more sig figs! thanks for your help!

Chestermiller said:
Mark, you've kinda got it inverted. kA/L is a conductance, not a resistance. The equations you have written are for two bars in parallel, not series.

Thanks for the correction, my textbooks call it conduction resistance, which is why I called it resistance. I did have my resistance equations inverted for omc1 to integrate it into his/her equation more easily.

1. What is heat rate flow through a bar?

Heat rate flow through a bar refers to the amount of thermal energy that is transferred through the bar per unit time. It is a measure of how quickly heat is conducted through the bar.

2. How is heat rate flow through a bar calculated?

The heat rate flow through a bar can be calculated using the formula Q = kAΔT/Δx, where Q is the heat rate flow, k is the thermal conductivity of the material, A is the cross-sectional area of the bar, ΔT is the temperature difference across the bar, and Δx is the length of the bar.

3. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is a property that describes how quickly heat can be transferred through a material.

4. How does thermal conductivity affect heat rate flow through a bar?

The higher the thermal conductivity of a material, the faster heat can be transferred through it. This means that a material with high thermal conductivity will have a higher heat rate flow through a bar compared to a material with lower thermal conductivity, given the same temperature difference and length.

5. What factors can affect the thermal conductivity of a material?

The thermal conductivity of a material can be affected by factors such as temperature, density, and composition. In general, materials with higher densities and higher temperatures tend to have higher thermal conductivity. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects in the material can also affect its thermal conductivity.