1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thermal conductivity of airplane

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The passenger section of an airplane can be thought to have a shape of a cylindrical tube. For a small airplane, the tube is 35 m long and has an inner radius of 2.5 m. The exterior of the tubular wall is lined up with a 6- cm thick layer of insulating material of thermal conductivity 4 X 10-5 cal/s- cm-K. If the inside temperature is to be maintained at 25 °C, and the outside temperature is -35 °C, determine the rate that heat must be delivered to maintain this temperature difference.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

dQ/dt = kA(T(inside) - T(outside))/l

I a having trouble identifying y variables

k = 4E^-5, A = this is my confusion, is it the cross-sectional area of the inside or outside of the plane, l = .006 m

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

You'll have to use calculus. Consider an infinitely very thin layer of material. It will have only one area, 2*pi*r*dr. Consider the heat flow through this thin layer, then use integration to get the rate of heat flow through the whole thing.

4. Mar 9, 2010 #3
    kinda confused but r u saying that i have to find the area of the entire outside cylinder

am i suppose to integrate 2pi r dr fro the inside radius to the outside radius

5. Mar 9, 2010 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

No.

Oops, I meant 2pi*r*L, which would be the surface area of a thin slice of the cylinder at radius r. H=kA*delta-T/delta-x, which you can rewrite as H=k*2pi*r*L*dT/dx. Do you know how to get the answer from here?

6. Mar 9, 2010 #5
    what do i use for my radius, the inside or inside plus the insulation.

also why did you put the delta-t on the other side, the answer is ging to be in jewls/seconds right.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook