Thermal conductivity of airplane

In summary, the rate of heat flow through the plane is kA*dQ/dt, where k is the heat flow rate and A is the cross-sectional area of the inside or outside of the plane.
joemama69

Homework Statement

The passenger section of an airplane can be thought to have a shape of a cylindrical tube. For a small airplane, the tube is 35 m long and has an inner radius of 2.5 m. The exterior of the tubular wall is lined up with a 6- cm thick layer of insulating material of thermal conductivity 4 X 10-5 cal/s- cm-K. If the inside temperature is to be maintained at 25 °C, and the outside temperature is -35 °C, determine the rate that heat must be delivered to maintain this temperature difference.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dQ/dt = kA(T(inside) - T(outside))/l

I a having trouble identifying y variables

k = 4E^-5, A = this is my confusion, is it the cross-sectional area of the inside or outside of the plane, l = .006 m

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to use calculus. Consider an infinitely very thin layer of material. It will have only one area, 2*pi*r*dr. Consider the heat flow through this thin layer, then use integration to get the rate of heat flow through the whole thing.

kinda confused but r u saying that i have to find the area of the entire outside cylinder

am i suppose to integrate 2pi r dr fro the inside radius to the outside radius

joemama69 said:
kinda confused but r u saying that i have to find the area of the entire outside cylinder

No.

am i suppose to integrate 2pi r dr fro the inside radius to the outside radius

Oops, I meant 2pi*r*L, which would be the surface area of a thin slice of the cylinder at radius r. H=kA*delta-T/delta-x, which you can rewrite as H=k*2pi*r*L*dT/dx. Do you know how to get the answer from here?

what do i use for my radius, the inside or inside plus the insulation.

also why did you put the delta-t on the other side, the answer is ging to be in jewls/seconds right.

1. What is thermal conductivity and why is it important in airplanes?

Thermal conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. In airplanes, it is important because it affects how well the aircraft can regulate temperature and prevent heat transfer from the outside environment.

2. How does the thermal conductivity of airplane materials affect fuel efficiency?

The thermal conductivity of airplane materials can impact fuel efficiency because materials with high thermal conductivity will allow more heat to transfer from the warm interior of the aircraft to the colder outside environment, resulting in higher energy consumption to maintain a comfortable temperature inside the plane.

3. What are some common materials with high thermal conductivity used in airplanes?

Some common materials with high thermal conductivity used in airplanes include aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber composites.

4. How does the thermal conductivity of airplane materials impact comfort for passengers?

The thermal conductivity of airplane materials can impact passenger comfort because materials with high thermal conductivity can result in a higher likelihood of temperature fluctuations and discomfort for passengers.

5. Is there a specific range of thermal conductivity that is ideal for airplane materials?

There is no specific range of thermal conductivity that is considered ideal for airplane materials as it depends on various factors such as the type of aircraft and its intended use. However, in general, materials with moderate thermal conductivity are often preferred to balance fuel efficiency and passenger comfort.