Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thermal conductivity of airplane

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The passenger section of an airplane can be thought to have a shape of a cylindrical tube. For a small airplane, the tube is 35 m long and has an inner radius of 2.5 m. The exterior of the tubular wall is lined up with a 6- cm thick layer of insulating material of thermal conductivity 4 X 10-5 cal/s- cm-K. If the inside temperature is to be maintained at 25 °C, and the outside temperature is -35 °C, determine the rate that heat must be delivered to maintain this temperature difference.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

dQ/dt = kA(T(inside) - T(outside))/l

I a having trouble identifying y variables

k = 4E^-5, A = this is my confusion, is it the cross-sectional area of the inside or outside of the plane, l = .006 m

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

You'll have to use calculus. Consider an infinitely very thin layer of material. It will have only one area, 2*pi*r*dr. Consider the heat flow through this thin layer, then use integration to get the rate of heat flow through the whole thing.

4. Mar 9, 2010 #3
    kinda confused but r u saying that i have to find the area of the entire outside cylinder

am i suppose to integrate 2pi r dr fro the inside radius to the outside radius

5. Mar 9, 2010 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

No.

Oops, I meant 2pi*r*L, which would be the surface area of a thin slice of the cylinder at radius r. H=kA*delta-T/delta-x, which you can rewrite as H=k*2pi*r*L*dT/dx. Do you know how to get the answer from here?

6. Mar 9, 2010 #5
    what do i use for my radius, the inside or inside plus the insulation.

also why did you put the delta-t on the other side, the answer is ging to be in jewls/seconds right.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook