1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Transfer and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Heat is transferred into saturated liquid water until it is saturated vapor. The water remains at 300 C throughout the process.

a. What is the initial pressure?

b. What is the final pressure?

c. How much heat is transferred per kg of water?

I'm having trouble with a and b. I assume i need to use the steam and compressed liquid tables, but I am not sure how to use this given info to get it.

2. Relevant equations

part c: energy balance gives Q/m = u1 - u2

Q = heat transfer
    u = specific internal energy

I can simply use tables to find the u values once parts a and b are found.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

What is the significance of "saturated liquid water until it is saturated vapor", i.e. this is just a change of phase from pure liquid to pure vapor.

Take a look at saturated steam tables.

4. Feb 1, 2009 #3
    Wouldnt i also need to know the pressure?

5. Feb 2, 2009 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

What must the pressure be if the water is at a saturation point?

CS

6. Feb 2, 2009 #5
    looking at the saturated liquid-vapor table, is it 85.81 bar?

If so, it also gives values for entropy, enthalpy... for saturated liquid and vapor. I could just use those values right?

7. Feb 3, 2009 #6

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Since I don't have your table I can't say. However, if the value listed for 300 C saturated water is 85.81 bar then I would say yes. Essentially you will just read it off the table since the problem tells you it is saturated. You'll need to use the super-heated vapor table for part b.

CS

8. Feb 3, 2009 #7
    It says saturated liquid vapor mixture.

When I am looking at the sat. vapor tables, there are a wide variety of pressures. How do i know which to use?

9. Feb 3, 2009 #8

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Most superheated vapor tables list the saturation temperature as well. So just find the one with the pressure that corresponds to 300 C and that will be the saturation pressure of the superheated vapor. Note: you may have to interpolate if 300 C is not listed.

The pressure should be around 8.5 MPa for 300 C superheated vapor based on my tables.

T= 295.01 C, P = 8.0 MPa

and

T = 303.35 C, P = 9.0 MPa

So just interpolate to find 300 C exactly.

Hope this helps.

CS

10. Feb 5, 2009 #9
    I have found similiar temperatures: 295.06 and 311.06, but we cant interpolate directly between sets of tables, right?

So should I, say, find specific volume v in one set (at 295.09 C for example), do the same for the other, then interpolate these v and T values to find the actual v at 300C so that I can use the ideal gas equation?

11. Feb 5, 2009 #10

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Sure you can.

CS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?