Heat transfer in a nuclear reactor and the electrical equivalent

In summary, the equations presented in the conversation are used to model the temperature and heat flux within a nuclear reactor, with a triangular control boundary being used to simplify the equations. The equations involve terms for fuel, graphite, and coolant, with thermal resistances being taken into account. In steady-state conditions, the temperature gradients and heat flux are constant, and the heat leaving the fuel must equal the heat entering the coolant channel.
dRic2
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see picture below
Relevant Equations
heat transfer equation
Schermata 2019-06-15 alle 19.51.41.png

To write the equation I took as the control volume the following block:
Schermata 2019-06-15 alle 19.56.31.png

and the equation I wrote are:

$$ 6m_{f} c_{p_{f}} \frac {dT_{f}}{dt} = 6P - \frac 1 {R_1} (T_f - T_g) \text{ for the fuel}$$
$$ m_{g} c_{p_g} \frac {dT_{g}}{dt} = \frac 1 {R_1} (T_f - T_g) - \frac 1 {R_2} (T_g - T_c) \text{ for the graphite}$$
$$ 3m_{c} c_{p_c} \frac {dT_{c}}{dt} = \frac 1 {R_1} (T_g - T_c) - 3G c_{p_{c}} (T_{out} - T_{in}) \text{ for the coolant}$$

##P## is the power produced by each fuel element. In stationary condition just drop the time derivative. I'm not totally sure about the last one though...

I have no clue on point b). Can someone give me a hint ?

Thanks Ric

Attachments

• 228297-bb4839921d2956f8b0a1b63183a9e3ba.png
    228297-bb4839921d2956f8b0a1b63183a9e3ba.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 228298-f79e368bf357c51169ccbcab20957e6a.png
    228298-f79e368bf357c51169ccbcab20957e6a.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing a triangular control boundary from the center of the central coolant channel to the center of two outer coolant channels, which has a fuel element in the middle. See the symmetry. The temperature is like the voltage, heat flux like the current through the fuel and graphite into the coolant. There are thermal resistances.

Astronuc said:
Try drawing a triangular control boundary
If I take the triangular boundary the equations become:
$$ m_{f} c_{p_{f}} \frac {dT_{f}}{dt} = P - \frac 1 {R_1} (T_f - T_g) \text{ for the fuel}$$
$$ m_{g} c_{p_g} \frac {dT_{g}}{dt} = \frac 1 {R_1} (T_f - T_g) - \frac 1 {R_2} (T_g - T_c) \text{ for the graphite}$$
$$ m_{c} c_{p_c} \frac {dT_{c}}{dt} = \frac 1 {R_1} (T_g - T_c) - G c_{p_{c}} (T_{out} - T_{in}) \text{ for the coolant}$$
They are simpler (thanks for the suggestion :smile: ), but I don't think that my first try was wrong. In fact the mass of moderator inside the boundary in this case is less than what I considered in the previous post. At the end they should give the same result, correct ?
Astronuc said:
There are thermal resistances.
If the system is stationary I think I did it. I can re-arrange the last equation imposing ##T_{c} = \frac {T_{in} + T_{out}} 2## :

$$m_c c_{p_c} \frac {dT_c}{dt} = \frac 1 {R_1} (T_g - T_c) - 2G c_{p_{c}} (T_c - T_{in})$$

And the equivalent electrical network should be:
photo_2019-06-15 21.02.37.jpeg

But in the general case there should be capacitors (the terms with ##mc_p \frac{dT}{dt}##) and I don't know how to insert them properly inside the circuit. Maybe in parallel with the corresponding resistance ?

Since part a states "steady-state", then dT/dt = 0. The temperature gradients and heat flux should be constant. The heat leaving the fuel must equal the heat entering the coolant channel.

Yes but I'd like to know the general case too, if it doesn't get too complicated. Anyway Thanks for the replies!

1. What is heat transfer in a nuclear reactor?

Heat transfer in a nuclear reactor is the process of transferring thermal energy from the nuclear fuel to the coolant, which is then used to produce steam to generate electricity. This process is essential for the safe and efficient operation of a nuclear reactor.

2. How does heat transfer occur in a nuclear reactor?

Heat transfer in a nuclear reactor occurs through three main processes: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between particles, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. What is the electrical equivalent of heat transfer in a nuclear reactor?

The electrical equivalent of heat transfer in a nuclear reactor is the conversion of thermal energy into electrical energy. This is achieved through the use of a steam turbine, where the steam produced by the heat transfer process is used to turn a turbine and generate electricity.

4. How is heat transfer controlled in a nuclear reactor?

Heat transfer in a nuclear reactor is controlled through various means, such as controlling the rate of nuclear reactions, controlling the flow rate of coolant, and using control rods to absorb excess neutrons. These measures help to maintain a safe and stable temperature in the reactor.

5. What are the potential risks associated with heat transfer in a nuclear reactor?

The main risk associated with heat transfer in a nuclear reactor is the possibility of a meltdown, where the fuel rods become too hot and cause damage to the reactor. This can lead to the release of radioactive material and pose a threat to human health and the environment. However, strict safety protocols and regulations are in place to prevent such incidents from occurring.