Pasteurization and Preheating: Calculating Heat Transfer Rates and Cooling Duty

In summary, the conversation is discussing a pasteurizing system for milk. The milk is heated to 72C for 15 seconds and then cooled using preheated milk. The preheating process involves using two heat exchangers and hot water at a temperature of 95C. The hot milk is then cooled to 10C before being pasteurized. The conversation also mentions calculating the temperature of the milk exiting the preheater, the exit temperature of the hot water, the heat transfer rate, and the cooling duty required to bring the pasteurized milk to a final temperature of 4C. The conversation also includes a question about whether the calculations are being done correctly and if temperatures need to be converted to Kelvin.
tweety1234

Homework Statement

Milk is pasteurised by heating it to 72C for 15 seconds. The hot pasteurised milk
is cooled by using it to preheat incoming cool milk. Milk enters a pasteurising system at 2C and a flow rate of 3000 litres per hour The incoming milk enters a preheating plate heat exchanger, then flows to a second plate heat exchanger where
it is heated to [tex] 72^{0} C [/tex] using hot water at an initial temperature of 95C and
flow rate of 2200 litres per hour . The hot milk is returned on the hot side of the preheating
plate heat exchanger, where it is cooled to 10C.
Ignoring any heat losses, and assuming heat capacity does not change signicantly
with temperature, calculate:
(a) the temperature of the milk exiting the preheater,
(b) the exit temperature of the hot water,
(c) the heat transfer rate across the rst and second heat exchangers,
(d) the cooling duty (in kW) required to bring the pasteurised milk to a final
temperature of 4C.

I have drawn a diagram for this question, can someone please check it and tell me if it is correct? Also I need help working out the temperature of the milk coming out of the pre heater,

I know i have to use Q = mct
Heat capacity of water [tex] 4.21 KJ kg^{-1} K^{-1} [/tex]
Heat capacity of milk [tex] 3.92 kJ kg^{-1} K^{-1} [/tex]
Density of water [tex] 961 kg m^{-3} [/tex]

Density of milk [tex] 990 kg m^{-3} [/tex]^[-3

Attachments

• milk.png
    milk.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please let me know If I am doing this correctly? I have used the density given to calculate the mass of milk, going into the feed. which I also use to calculate the energy content of the milk.

[tex] Q = m \\\ C_{p} \deta T [/tex]the energy content of milk going into the pre-heater [tex] = 2^{o}C \times 2970kg \times 3.92 KJ kg^{-1} K^{-1} [/tex]

And I can also work out the energy content of the water, but how does I use this work out the temperature of the milk coming out of the pre-heater?

Also do I have to change my temperatures to kelvin, in the energy calculation? Because as I understand it, a change in 1C = 1K , and in the equation we are using delta T. Could someone clarify?

thank you.

Last edited:

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another due to a temperature difference.

2. What are the different modes of heat transfer?

The three main modes of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids or gases. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. How do you solve a heat transfer problem?

To solve a heat transfer problem, you need to identify the type of heat transfer involved, determine the thermal properties of the materials involved, and apply the appropriate equations and principles of heat transfer to calculate the heat transfer rate or temperature change.

4. What are some common applications of heat transfer?

Heat transfer has numerous applications in everyday life, including cooking, heating and cooling buildings, refrigeration, and energy production. It is also crucial in various industrial processes, such as in the production of metals, plastics, and pharmaceuticals.

5. How does heat transfer affect the environment?

Heat transfer plays a significant role in the Earth's climate system. The transfer of heat from the sun to the Earth's surface and the atmosphere drives weather patterns, ocean currents, and other environmental processes. Human activities that release excess heat into the environment, such as burning fossil fuels, can contribute to global warming and other environmental issues.