Heat Transfer Problem - Radiation missing Emissivity value

In summary, Student A insists that the surface temperature of the cartridge will be larger in CASE 2 than in CASE 1, while student B states the opposite. However, the cartridge is shaped as a solid cylinder of length L=200 mm and diameter D=20 mm, which is known to dissipate 2 kW irrespective of the case. So, radiation heat transfer will be significant in CASE 2, but it may (or may not) be small compared to the convection. To find out, assume ϵ =1 and see if radiation heat transfer is significant. If it is, then you can do a practical treatment of the emissivity as follows. But how can you see if the radiation heat transfer is significant if you don't
jake222

Homework Statement

Two students, A and B, are discussing a heat transfer problem regarding what the surface temperature of a cartridge electrical heater would be when exposed to a water flow (CASE 1) and an air flow (CASE 2).

Case 1:

hw = 5000 W / (m2 * K); Tsurr = 20ºC

Case 2:

ha = 50 W / (m2 * K); Tsurr = 20ºC

Student A insists that the surface temperature of the cartridge will be larger in CASE 2 than in CASE 1, while student B states the opposite.
The cartridge is shaped as a solid cylinder of length L=200 mm and diameter D=20 mm, which is known to dissipate 2 kW irrespective of the case. Find the surface temperature of the cartridge in each case to find out if student A is right or wrong.

Homework Equations

qtot = qconv + qrad

qtot = A * q''conv + A * q''rad

I assumed that since [itex]\alpha[/itex] wasn't mentioned, [itex]\epsilon[/itex] = [itex]\alpha[/itex] and I could use this form:

qtot = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]RL * h(Ts-Tsurr) + 2[itex]\pi[/itex]RL * [itex]\epsilon[/itex] [itex]\sigma[/itex] (Ts4 - Tsurr4)

The Attempt at a Solution

So really, given the above equations, this should be a "plug and chug" problem by saying that qtot = 2 kW and solving the equation for Ts. However, I cannot do that because the surface emissivity (or absorption) is not given. So I started to think whether or not the cartridge had any radiation at all. I looked through my notes and the textbook and could not find a way to quantify [itex]\epsilon[/itex] using the given information. That's when I came here. Am I wrong to assume that there is any radiation? Or am I doing something completely wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
There will be radiation heat transfer. However, it may (or may not) be small compared to the convection. First, assume ϵ =1 and see if radiation heat transfer is significant.

If it is, then you can do a practical treatment of the emissivity as follows. Most cartridge heaters have an interior heated element insulated by magnesium oxide. Then the outside surface sheath is usually either 304 or 316 stainless steel or Incoloy for temperatures above about 450 F. The outside sheath material will apply to your emissivity. You can look up the emissivity for these materials. State your reasoning in your solution.

But how can I see if the radiation heat transfer is significant if I don't know a surface temperature?

jake222 said:
But how can I see if the radiation heat transfer is significant if I don't know a surface temperature?
You had the idea in your original post: "qtot = 2 kW and solving the equation for Ts"

You will now need an numerical or trial and error solution.

Alright, so I solved this equation (using [itex]\epsilon[/itex] = 1):

qtot = [itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]\sigma[/itex](Ts4 - Tsurr4)*2[itex]\pi[/itex]RL

using 2 kW for qtot and I got Ts = 1294.3 K. So... what does that mean?

I guess I'm confused on where you can draw the line of whether or not there is significant heat transfer due to radiation or not. When I solve the problem for just convection, I get Ts = 325 K, which seems a whole lot more reasonable than 1294.3 K.

What do you think?

Jake222,

You want to do both terms at the same time as you had in your first post:

qtot = qconv + qrad = 2 kW

qconv = 2 Pi R L * h(Ts-Tsurr)
qrad = 2 Pi R L * ϵ σ (Ts^4 - Tsurr^4)

You can pick a value of Ts, compute qconv, compute qrad, then add together and see if they equal 2 kW. When they do, figure qrad / qconv.

The 1293 K surface temperature you figured would only apply in a vacuum (no convection).

Oh, okay. I see now.

Thanks so much!

1. What is heat transfer and why is it important?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or substance to another. It is important because it allows for the transfer of heat to and from different systems, which is essential for maintaining a stable temperature and regulating processes such as cooking, refrigeration, and heating.

2. What is radiation and how does it relate to heat transfer?

Radiation is a form of heat transfer that occurs through electromagnetic waves. It is responsible for the transfer of heat energy through empty space, without the need for a medium. In other words, radiation can transfer heat from one object to another even if they are not in direct contact.

3. What is emissivity and why is it important in heat transfer problems?

Emissivity is a measure of how well a surface emits thermal radiation compared to a perfect emitter. It is an important factor in heat transfer problems because it affects the amount of radiation that is absorbed or emitted by a surface.

4. How can I determine the emissivity value for a particular material?

The emissivity value for a material can be determined through experimentation or by consulting a materials database. It is usually dependent on factors such as surface texture, temperature, and wavelength of radiation.

5. What can I do if the emissivity value is missing in a heat transfer problem?

If the emissivity value is missing, you can try to estimate it based on the material's properties and similar materials with known emissivity values. Alternatively, you can also use a conservative estimate of 0.9, which is the typical emissivity value for most surfaces. However, it is always best to try and obtain the most accurate emissivity value for more precise calculations.