Heat transfer problem solution needed for a circular co-ordinate.

In summary, the new user is trying to understand how to solve the heat equation for a circular fin, but has difficulty because he does not understand the grid generation for the problem. The expert has already converted the equation into a finite difference form and is working on solving the problem using a numerical analysis.
nafiz27me
Hi
Everyone i am new to this forum..the reason why i am here is a problem, i really want to discuss here.
I am working on a thesis on optimization of a circular fin.
But i want to know how can i start to solve the heat equation. the preferred method to solve the problem is Numerical method(Finite difference Method).
Now the main problem is the grid generation in the circular surface. Please someone tell me how do i generate the grid...
hope i will get some quick response.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Big project if as you say, your knowledge of heat transer is so basic. For a circular fin you will need a polar coordinate system, each node should have a slice of the ring with dimensions dr,d[theta],dz, multiply them together gives you the volume of the node. Multiply that by density to get the mass of the node. Need to check resistances for annulus heat transfer as the equation changes (cant remember what it is) but it is related to a log relationship.

Yes the only way you will solve the heat transfer equation is using a numerical analysis. Its a pde that you will not be able to solve by hand.
Make sure you understand more straight forward nodal analysis first before you go on to the circular fin.
I have the MATLAB code for something very similar if you are interested, however if you knowledge of MATLAB is limited, then i would advise against it. Do your analysis in excel probably.

I have to solve the problem using finite difference method.
I have already converted the equation of PDE into finite difference form.
Now problem is the grid generation how can i generated the grid to solve this problem.
pls help..

would you please share your solution in matlab.I will be grateful to you.Please...

1. What is heat transfer and why is it important?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or substance to another. It is important because it affects the temperature, state, and properties of materials, and plays a crucial role in many natural and industrial processes.

2. What is a circular co-ordinate and how does it relate to heat transfer?

A circular co-ordinate is a coordinate system that uses angles and distances from a central point to locate a point in space. In heat transfer, this coordinate system is often used to analyze heat transfer in circular geometries such as pipes, cylinders, or spheres.

3. How do you solve a heat transfer problem in a circular co-ordinate?

To solve a heat transfer problem in a circular co-ordinate, you would typically use mathematical equations and models, such as the radial heat conduction equation or the cylindrical heat conduction equation, to determine the temperature distribution and heat transfer rate within the circular geometry.

4. What are some common solutions for heat transfer problems in circular co-ordinates?

Some common solutions for heat transfer problems in circular co-ordinates include using analytical methods, such as separation of variables or similarity solutions, or numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element analysis.

5. What are some practical applications of solving heat transfer problems in circular co-ordinates?

Solving heat transfer problems in circular co-ordinates is relevant in many industries, such as power generation, chemical processing, and electronics, where circular geometries are commonly used. It can also be applied in areas such as materials science, meteorology, and geothermal energy systems.