Heat Wave Equations: Explaining Delta t & x Approach to Zero

• I
  • Thread starter Kajan thana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Wave
In summary, the limit of delta t and x approaching zero results in the whole fraction being zero, as shown in the slide. This limit can be defined as ##k^2## or ##\kappa^2##, where ##\kappa## is the square root of the limit and not the variable k. This is the mathematical definition of ##\kappa##.
Kajan thana
TL;DR Summary
Hi Guys, I am trying to understand the derivation of the diffusion/heatwave equation, but I am stuck on how the person managed to get ##k^2##. I have attached the slide to this thread.
When the delta t and x approached zero, assumably it results in the whole fraction to be zero. The slide shows it will be ##k^2##. Can someone explain this to me, please?
1607905475409.png

P.S. I have tried to search this up, I could not find anything related to the confusion.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you sure this isn't simply the definition of ##\kappa##? The limit is not negative, so you can define ##\kappa## to be the square root of it. It's a kappa, not k.

Likes Kajan thana
mfb said:
Are you sure this isn't simply the definition of ##\kappa##? The limit is not negative, so you can define ##\kappa## to be the square root of it. It's a kappa, not k.
First of all , thank you for the instant reply! But I am still confused.. is that the mathematical definition for the ##\kappa##?

I think so. The limit is some value, you define ##\kappa## to be the square root of that limit, i.e. the limit is ##\kappa^2##.

• Informative
Likes Kajan thana

1. What is the "Delta t & x approach" in heat wave equations?

The Delta t & x approach is a mathematical method used to explain the behavior of heat waves in a given system. It involves breaking down the system into smaller units of time (Delta t) and space (x) to better understand how heat is transferred and distributed within the system.

2. How does the Delta t & x approach help in solving heat wave equations?

The Delta t & x approach allows for a more accurate and detailed analysis of heat waves by breaking down the system into smaller units. This helps to account for any changes in temperature and heat transfer that may occur over time and distance within the system.

3. Can the Delta t & x approach be applied to all heat wave equations?

Yes, the Delta t & x approach can be applied to all heat wave equations. It is a universal method that can be used to explain and solve heat wave behavior in various systems, regardless of their complexity.

4. What are the advantages of using the Delta t & x approach in heat wave equations?

The Delta t & x approach allows for a more precise and accurate analysis of heat wave behavior. It also helps to identify any potential errors or inaccuracies in the equations and provides a better understanding of the underlying principles behind heat transfer.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Delta t & x approach in heat wave equations?

While the Delta t & x approach is a valuable tool in explaining heat wave behavior, it may not account for all factors that can affect heat transfer, such as external variables or non-linear systems. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the size of the Delta t and x units chosen for analysis.