1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heating and Cooling

1. Apr 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A solar hot-water-heating system consists of a hot water tank and a solar panel. The tank is well insulated and has a time constant of 64 hr. The solar panel generates 2000 Btu/hr during the day, and the tank has a heat capacity of 2 degrees F per thousand Btu. If the water in the tank is initially 110 F and the room temperature outside the tank is 80 degrees F, what will be the temperature in the tank after 12 hr of sunlight.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] T(t) = e^{-kt} (\int e^{kt}[KM(t) + H(t) + U(t)]dt +C)[/tex]

M is the outside temperature, H is other things that affect temperature in the tank(0 in this case), and U is the solar panel. K comes from the time constant, and should be the inverse of the time constant I believe. T is temperature, t is time.

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] T(t) = e^{-\frac{1}{64}t} (\int e^{\frac{1}{64}t}[ \frac{1}{64} (80) + 4t]dt[/tex]

After integrating I keep getting

[tex] -16304 + 256t + Ce^{- \frac{1}{64} t}[/tex]

I calculate C to be 16414 setting t equal to 0 and using the initial conditions. However, when plugging in 12 to my answer for t, I get in the 300s, whereas the book says the answer is 148.6. Could anyone please show me where I'm going wrong. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time and help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted