Rubber Heat Resistance: Finding the Right Material

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of heating rubber without causing degradation. It is mentioned that there is no form of rubber that melts at only 30 degrees celsius, but there may be plastics with a lower melting point. It is suggested that a strong flexible adhesive or a cold cure silicone casting rubber could be used to join rubber sheets together, with links provided for more information. Super glue and the glue used to patch bicycle tires are also mentioned as potential options. Alternatively, poly-ether polyurethane could be used if cold flow is not an issue.
Engn_sam
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post this here, if I'm not, I'm sorry.

That being said, what kinds of rubber can be heated up to 30 degrees c without degradation but can be melted. I would like to sandwich a heating filament between two sheets of rubber and seal them together with heat.

Science news on Phys.org
I don't think there is any form of rubber which melts at only 30C.
That is just an average daytime temperature in summer for some parts of the world.
You might find some plastics with a low melting point though.

A strong flexible adhesive might be a better way to join rubber sheets, (or a rubber solvent?)

Last edited:
I think super glue sticks rubber quite well but isn't very flexible. The glue used to stick a patch on a bicycle tyre inner tube may also work.

If cold flow is not an issue, poly-ether polyurethane.
Injection molded, The melt point is over 200 C.

1. What is rubber heat resistance?

Rubber heat resistance refers to the ability of a rubber material to withstand high temperatures without degrading or losing its physical properties.

2. Why is rubber heat resistance important?

Rubber is commonly used in various industries for its flexibility, durability, and resistance to wear and tear. However, exposure to high temperatures can cause rubber to become brittle, melt, or lose its shape, rendering it ineffective for its intended use. Therefore, rubber heat resistance is crucial in ensuring the longevity and functionality of rubber products.

3. What factors affect rubber heat resistance?

The heat resistance of rubber is affected by various factors, including the type of rubber material, its composition, and the specific application it will be used for. Additionally, external factors such as temperature, pressure, and exposure to chemicals can also impact the heat resistance of rubber.

4. How do you determine the right rubber material for a specific heat resistance requirement?

The most effective way to determine the right rubber material for a specific heat resistance requirement is to consult with a rubber scientist or engineer. They can analyze the specific application and conditions the rubber will be exposed to and recommend the most suitable material based on its heat resistance properties.

5. Can rubber materials be enhanced for better heat resistance?

Yes, there are various methods for enhancing the heat resistance of rubber materials. These include adding fillers and additives, using specific curing processes, and using coatings or coverings to protect the rubber from extreme temperatures. It is essential to consult with a rubber expert to determine the most effective method for a particular application.