Linear Algebra: Finding a Polynomial for Matrix A - Help Needed!

• Thread starter momo20
  • Start date
In summary: In fact, p is inversely proportional to r. To solve for p and r, you will need to use a system of equations. When you solve for p and r, you will get two non-zero solutions. What are they? The first solution is p=-r and the second solution is r=-p. What does that mean for q? q must be one of the two solutions that are not -r or -p. The only other solution is q=-r or q=-p, so it must be the first solution, p=-r.unfortunately not !
momo20
Hey,

Could someone help me with my question here please ??

it's a linear algebra que ...

let the (matrix) A= a b
c d

Find a polynomial p(x) = x^2 + qx + r
such that p(A)=0

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up and learn about characteristic polynomials. This question didn't come out of a vacuum. There's a chapter in your book about it.

unfortunately not !

nothing in my book says anything about polynomial .. i searched all the day for that !

momo20 said:
Hey,

Could someone help me with my question here please ??

it's a linear algebra que ...

let the (matrix) A= a b
c d

Find a polynomial p(x) = x^2 + qx + r
such that p(A)=0

Although it looks strange, you can set the variable in a polynomial equal to a matrix. What would x^2 mean if x = A? The next term would be qA , which has a clear meaning. The last term has to be interpreted in terms of matrices: in numerical algebra, r = r·1 , so in matrix algebra, r = r · I . You can now add the terms of your polynomial, obeying matrix addition. You are looking to express q and r in terms of the entries in A, so that the sum is 0, that is, the zero matrix.

Try eigenvalues. The quick story is that A satisfies the polynomial determinant(A-x*I)=0 where I is the identity matrix and x is the variable in your polynomial. Does that sound familiar?

momo20 said:
unfortunately not !

nothing in my book says anything about polynomial .. i searched all the day for that !

A linear algebra textbook that doesn't say anything about characteristic polynomials? I find that hard to believe. In fact, from the nature of this problem, I suspect they may be introduced in the very next section: this problem looks like an introduction to them!

But since you have not yet seen characteristic polynomials (and have already spent a day on this), how about the obvious: Go ahead and calculate x2, for x equal to this matrix, put it into the equation x2+ qx+ rI (that last term is the constant r multiplying the identity matrix in order to make it a matrix equation) and see what p and q must be in order that it equal the 0 matrix.

You will get four equations for the two variables, p and r, but they are not all independent.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Linear Algebra: Finding a Polynomial for Matrix A - Help Needed!

1. Why do we use "heeeeeeelp pleeeeeease" instead of just "help please"?

There are a few reasons why people may use excessive letters in their plea for help. It could be out of frustration or urgency, or simply as a way to emphasize the urgency of the situation. Additionally, some people may have picked up this behavior from others or from popular culture.

2. Does using excessive letters in "heeeeeeelp pleeeeeease" make a difference?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that using excessive letters in "heeeeeeelp pleeeeeease" has any impact on the likelihood of receiving help. It may simply be perceived as more urgent or desperate by the person asking for help.

3. Is "heeeeeeelp pleeeeeease" considered proper grammar?

No, using excessive letters in a plea for help is not considered proper grammar. However, in informal situations such as text messaging or social media, it is more acceptable to use informal language and grammar.

4. Is there a specific situation where using "heeeeeeelp pleeeeeease" is more appropriate?

Using excessive letters in a plea for help is more commonly used in urgent or dire situations where immediate assistance is needed. It can also be used as a way to add emphasis or humor to the request for help.

5. Is there a better way to ask for help than using "heeeeeeelp pleeeeeease"?

It ultimately depends on the situation and who you are asking for help from. In more formal situations, it is best to use clear and concise language without excessive letters. However, in more casual situations, it is acceptable to use informal language and expressions to ask for help.