Helicopter acceleration problem

In summary, the acceleration of the helicopter can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes to reach it. The height the flare was fired can be found by using the constant acceleration equations. The height of the helicopter at the instant the flare reaches the ground can be calculated by using the equation for the time it takes for the flare to reach the ground after being released.
Turntbull
1. A helicopter starts from rest on the ground and starts accelerating uniformly upward. After 30 seconds a flare was fired horizontally. An observer on the ground measured the time the flare reaches the ground to be 10 seconds calculate A) acceleration of helicopter B) hight flare was fired C) the height of the helicopter the instant the flare reaches the ground assuming the acceleration stays constant 2. Voy = Vo sin theta
The constant acceleration equations
3. I don't know where to start to find acceleration. I have done sin90 to try and get voy but I know that's wrong because my teacher said I'm doing it all wrong lol please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Turntbull.

Can you find an expression for the time the flare takes to reach the ground after its release?

Turntbull said:
1. A helicopter starts from rest on the ground and starts accelerating uniformly upward. After 30 seconds a flare was fired horizontally. An observer on the ground measured the time the flare reaches the ground to be 10 seconds calculate A) acceleration of helicopter B) hight flare was fired C) the height of the helicopter the instant the flare reaches the ground assuming the acceleration stays constant 2. Voy = Vo sin theta
The constant acceleration equations
3. I don't know where to start to find acceleration. I have done sin90 to try and get voy but I know that's wrong because my teacher said I'm doing it all wrong lol please help
Because the flare was fired horizontally, the time involved is the same as if an object was dropped - by dropped I mean held in an outstretched hand and released - it does not necessarily travel down immediately.

1. What is the "Helicopter Acceleration Problem"?

The "Helicopter Acceleration Problem" refers to a physics problem in which a helicopter takes off from a stationary position and accelerates to a certain velocity in a given amount of time, while also taking into account factors such as gravity and air resistance.

2. What are the main factors that influence the acceleration of a helicopter?

The main factors that influence the acceleration of a helicopter are the thrust produced by the rotors, the weight of the helicopter, and air resistance.

3. How does air resistance affect the acceleration of a helicopter?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of the helicopter. As the helicopter accelerates, it has to work against the force of air resistance, which reduces its acceleration. This is why helicopters have to produce a significant amount of thrust to overcome this force and accelerate.

4. Why is the acceleration of a helicopter important?

The acceleration of a helicopter is important because it affects the time it takes for the helicopter to reach a certain velocity, which in turn affects its ability to perform maneuvers and complete missions efficiently. Understanding and optimizing the acceleration of a helicopter can also improve its overall performance and fuel efficiency.

5. How is the "Helicopter Acceleration Problem" solved?

The "Helicopter Acceleration Problem" is solved using principles of physics, specifically Newton's second law of motion (F=ma). By analyzing the forces acting on the helicopter and using mathematical equations, the acceleration of the helicopter can be calculated and optimized.