Solving h'(x) = f'[g(x)] * g'(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivative of h(x) = f[g(x)], which is h'(x) = f'[g(x)] * g'(x). The specific problem being discussed involves h(x) = sin(-x), and the attempt at a solution involves confirming the correct derivative calculation. The conversation concludes with a confirmation of the even function properties of cosine.
Dustobusto

Homework Statement

h(x) = f[g(x)]

h'(x) = f'[g(x)] * g'(x)

Homework Equations

h(x) = sin(-x)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, this one is pretty simple, except I just want to confirm something. When I do it it, it looks like this:

The derivative of sin = cos,

so you have

h(x) = cos(-x)

then you multiply the outside by g'(x). The derivative of -x is negative one. So it's

h(x) = cos(-x) * -1

h(x) = -cos(-x)

h'(x) = cos(x)

But the computer program bagatrix insists the final answer is

h'(x) = -cos(x)

Am I wrong, and if so, where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cosine is an even function.

Averki said:
Cosine is an even function.

As in the opposite angle identity?

sin(-x) = -sin(x)

and

cos(-x) = cos(x) ?

Never heard it called that, but yes to the above. A good way to have checked this is to look at the unit circle :]

1. What is the meaning of "Solving h'(x) = f'[g(x)] * g'(x)"?

This equation is known as the chain rule in calculus. It is used to find the derivative of a composite function, where one function is nested inside another.

2. How do I apply the chain rule to solve this equation?

To apply the chain rule, you first need to identify the inner and outer functions. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. This will give you the derivative of the composite function.

3. Can you provide an example of solving this equation using the chain rule?

Sure, let's say we have the equation h(x) = (x^2 + 5)^3. We can rewrite this as h(x) = f(g(x)), where f(x) = x^3 and g(x) = x^2 + 5. Applying the chain rule, we get h'(x) = f'(g(x)) * g'(x) = 3(g(x))^2 * 2x = 6x(g(x))^2 = 6x(x^2 + 5)^2.

4. What is the importance of the chain rule in science and mathematics?

The chain rule is an essential tool in calculus and is used in various fields of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to find the rate of change of complex functions, which is crucial in understanding and predicting real-world phenomena.

5. Are there any tips to remember and apply the chain rule effectively?

One tip is to always start by identifying the inner and outer functions. It can also be helpful to write out the equation in the form h(x) = f(g(x)) and then take the derivative step by step. Additionally, practicing with various examples can improve your understanding and application of the chain rule.