HELP A problem on resistivity

• Thread starter Kudo Shinichi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistivity
In summary, the problem involves finding the values of a carbon resistor and a Nichrome wire-wound resistor at zero degrees Celsius in order to create a temperature-independent resistance of 3700 ohms when combined. The resistivity of both resistors varies with temperature, with α values of -0.0005 for carbon and 0.0004 for Nichrome. Using the equation Rn[1+.0004*DT] + Rc[1-.0005*DT] = 3700, where DT represents a change in temperature, two equations can be created to solve for the unknown values. Another approach involves using the values of the resistances at 20 degrees Celsius to find the values at 0 degrees Celsius.
Kudo Shinichi
HELP!A problem on resistivity

Homework Statement

For some application it is important that the value of a resistance not change with temperature. For example, suppose you made a 3.70 KΩ resistor from a carbon resistor and a Nichrome wire-wound resistor connected together so the total resistance is the sum of their separate resistances. What value should each of these resistors have (at zero degree celsius) so that the combination is temperature independent

The Attempt at a Solution

Resistivity of carbon resistor, ρ: 3~60*10^-5
Resistivity of Nichrome resistor, ρ: 100*10^-8
ρ=ρo[1+α(T-To)]
But resistance is R=ρ*(l/A)
I can write the equation like
R=Ro[1+α(T-To)]
However, the question doesn’t have length and area of the resistor, otherwise I can use that to solve for Ro, so I don’t really know how to continue on with the problem.

Any help would be great. Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't see any information about how the resistivity varies with temperature for carbon and nichrome. If one increases while the other decreases, it should be possible to find a solution. You need the constant that multiplies (T-To). I don't think you need the length or area. The resistance will be proportional to [1+α(T-To)].

Delphi51 said:
I don't see any information about how the resistivity varies with temperature for carbon and nichrome. If one increases while the other decreases, it should be possible to find a solution. You need the constant that multiplies (T-To). I don't think you need the length or area. The resistance will be proportional to [1+α(T-To)].

Do you mean that R=[1+α(T-To)] for both carbon and nichrome resistor?
α for carbon resistor is -0.0005 and α for nichrome resistor is 0.0004
If R=[1+α(T-To)], then R for carbon would be 1.01 and R for nichrome would be 0.992
where T=0 and To=20 since we are trying to find the resistance at zero degree celsius
but the sum of both resistance would only be 2.002
However, the question says that the resistance for both is 3700
Or, should I use the R I got for both resistor and find the ratio between them to solve the problem?

I'm thinking that
Rn[1+.0004*DT] + Rc[1-.0005*DT] = 3700
where DT is short for the change in temperature from 0, Rn and Rc are the resistances at zero degrees. Perhaps you could find Rn and Rc by using a couple of different values for DT to create two equations in the two unknowns.

Delphi51 said:
I'm thinking that
Rn[1+.0004*DT] + Rc[1-.0005*DT] = 3700
where DT is short for the change in temperature from 0, Rn and Rc are the resistances at zero degrees. Perhaps you could find Rn and Rc by using a couple of different values for DT to create two equations in the two unknowns.

Sorry, but I still think that DT should be 0-20=-20, because the values of α for both copper and nichrome are at 20 degree celsius.
Or do you mean radomly select numbers and plug into the equation to solve the problem? However, I don't really know how to solve the problem in this way...

I have tried to solve the problem in another way:
Rn=1+.0004*(0-20)=0.992
Rc=1+(-.0005)*(0-20)=1.01
0.992/1.01=0.982
0.982Rc=Rn
3700=Rc+0.982Rc
Rc=1866.8 and Rn=1833.2

I am not sure whether it is the correct way to approach the problem

Last edited:

The .0004 and -.0005 must be accurate over some temperature range, or the formula is useless. If you can't find the values closer to 0 degrees, you pretty much have to assume those are pretty good over the range you are interested in.

If you take Rn[1+.0004*DT] + Rc[1-.0005*DT] = 3700 at DT = 0, you have
Rn + Rc = 3700
At DT=20, Rn*1.008 + Rc*.99 = 3700.
This solves to Rn = 2056 and Rc = 1644 ohms.
This answer makes sense to me. I don't understand the .992/1.01 method, which seems to have two entirely different values for Rn and Rc (Rc=1866.8 AND Rc=1.01).

1. What is resistivity and why is it important?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electrical current. It is important because it helps us understand how different materials conduct electricity and how they can be used in various applications.

2. How is resistivity calculated?

Resistivity is calculated by taking the product of the material's resistance and its cross-sectional area, divided by its length. This formula is represented as ρ = RA/L, where ρ is resistivity, R is resistance, A is cross-sectional area, and L is length.

3. What factors affect resistivity?

Resistivity can be affected by a few different factors, including temperature, the type of material, and impurities or defects within the material. Generally, materials with higher resistivity are poorer conductors of electricity.

4. How is resistivity measured?

Resistivity is typically measured using a device called a multimeter, which can measure resistance and voltage. By measuring the resistance and dimensions of a material, the resistivity can be calculated using the formula mentioned above.

5. Why is it important to understand resistivity in electronics?

Understanding resistivity is crucial in electronics because it helps us design and select materials for specific applications. For example, materials with low resistivity are often used in electrical wiring and circuits, while materials with higher resistivity may be used as insulators to prevent the flow of electricity.