1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help Applying Norton and Thevin Equivalents

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am to find the Thevin and Norton equivalents of the following circuits, my problem being I am new to these method and any help is appreciated also is there any way to simplify this circuit properly?

2q20bja.png

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2
    Bump....

4. Mar 4, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

5. Mar 4, 2010 #4
    I suppose their nothing in this circuit that can conflict with finding my solution such as a "trick"

6. Mar 4, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Since you say you're new to these methods, have you worked on simpler problems, like ones without a dependent source? There's generally no trick to solving these problems. You just grind them out.

The Wikipedia page on Norton's Theorem is misleading about how to find R. The page claims you have to use the method of applying a current source to the terminals when there are dependent sources present, but this method is required only when all of the sources are dependent. Your circuit has an independent source, so you can find R by calculating the open-circuit voltage and short-circuit current and finding their ratio.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  7. Mar 5, 2010 #6
    I think, no one here(including the moderator/administrator) can answer any problem solving related to engineering.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook