Help Applying Norton and Thevin Equivalents

• Thread starter IronBrain
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Thevin and Norton equivalents of a given circuit, with the person seeking help being new to these methods. They also mention simplification and potential conflicts in finding a solution. The conversation also mentions the Wikipedia page on Norton's Theorem and a potential mistake in finding the equivalent resistance. Finally, they discuss the limitations of getting help from others in solving engineering problems.
IronBrain

Homework Statement

I am to find the Thevin and Norton equivalents of the following circuits, my problem being I am new to these method and any help is appreciated also is there any way to simplify this circuit properly?

2q20bja.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump...

I suppose their nothing in this circuit that can conflict with finding my solution such as a "trick"

Since you say you're new to these methods, have you worked on simpler problems, like ones without a dependent source? There's generally no trick to solving these problems. You just grind them out.

The Wikipedia page on Norton's Theorem is misleading about how to find R. The page claims you have to use the method of applying a current source to the terminals when there are dependent sources present, but this method is required only when all of the sources are dependent. Your circuit has an independent source, so you can find R by calculating the open-circuit voltage and short-circuit current and finding their ratio.

Last edited:
I think, no one here(including the moderator/administrator) can answer any problem solving related to engineering.

1. What is a Norton equivalent?

A Norton equivalent is a simplified circuit that represents a complex circuit, and is used to calculate the current and voltage at a particular point in that complex circuit. It is named after the scientist Edward Norton.

2. How is a Norton equivalent different from a Thevenin equivalent?

A Norton equivalent is a current source in parallel with a resistor, while a Thevenin equivalent is a voltage source in series with a resistor. They are mathematically equivalent and can be used interchangeably to simplify a circuit.

3. How do I calculate the Norton equivalent in a circuit?

To calculate the Norton equivalent, you will need to find the equivalent resistance by removing all voltage sources from the circuit and short-circuiting all current sources. Then, the Norton current is the current flowing through the short circuit, and the Norton resistance is the equivalent resistance. This can also be calculated using the Thevenin equivalent and Ohm's Law.

4. When should I use a Norton equivalent in circuit analysis?

A Norton equivalent is useful when you need to analyze a circuit at a specific point or load, and the circuit is too complex to analyze directly. It simplifies the circuit and makes calculations easier, especially for circuit analysis software.

5. Can I use a Norton equivalent for any type of circuit?

Yes, a Norton equivalent can be used for any type of circuit, including DC and AC circuits. The only requirement is that the circuit must be linear, meaning that the components have a constant resistance or impedance regardless of the applied voltage or current.