Why do I get different answers with different methods - Thevenin

And to do that you should be calculating the total resistance building up to that output which would give you a different Thevenin voltage (Ub) to what you got.Re: Third image/attempt: You appear to be making an error in your nodal analysis. The voltage at the top of Rv is not Ub, but rather a fraction of Ub.In summary, after attempting three different approaches to determine the Thevenin equivalent of the given circuit, it is concluded that the second attempt is correct. The Thevenin voltage (Ub) is equal to 5V and the Thevenin resistance (Rth) is equal to 5500 Ohms. The first and third attempts were found to be incorrect due
Yealtas

Homework Statement

Determine the Thevenin equivalent of the following circuit:
https://imgur.com/a/74UjA (Top image)

upload_2017-12-18_9-53-13.png

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

The last 3 images in the Imgur album are all different approaches.

I can't figure out what the right one is, and why the other ones are wrong. I spent hours searching on google, and I feel like I understand Thevenin/Norton well -now I am not so sure..-, but to no avail.

Extra information:
- Ub = Usource
- "zal door Rv gaan" means "will pas through Rv"

EDIT: I think my second attempt is correct. Uth = 5V. The 1st and 3rd method are presumambly wrong. I sort of have an idea of why, but I am still not 100% convinced.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-18_9-53-13.png
    upload_2017-12-18_9-53-13.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 731
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write down the steps you are taking eg...

1) Remove load resistors (none to remove in this case)
2) Replace current sources with..

etc

Hi Yealtas,

Please upload your images and embed them in your posts as local attachments. You can use the UPLOAD button at the bottom right of the edit window.

We find that off-site stored images and documents have a tendency to "evaporate" over time, rendering their threads here nearly worthless to members who come across them in the future.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yealtas said:
EDIT: I think my second attempt is correct. Uth = 5V.

Yes and Rth = 5500 Ohms.

Re: First image/attempt: You appear to be shorting the output to calculate I5 when you should be calculating the open circuit voltage (so I5 = 0).

What is the Thevenin method?

The Thevenin method is a circuit analysis technique used to simplify complex circuits by replacing them with an equivalent circuit containing a single voltage source and a single resistor.

Why do I get different answers with different methods?

Thevenin's theorem states that any linear circuit can be simplified to an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistor. However, different methods may be used to find the equivalent circuit, which can result in slightly different answers.

What are the limitations of the Thevenin method?

The Thevenin method is only applicable to linear circuits, meaning that it cannot be used for non-linear circuits. Additionally, it only works for circuits with a single source of voltage or current.

How can I ensure accurate results when using the Thevenin method?

In order to obtain accurate results, it is important to carefully follow the steps of the Thevenin method and to ensure that all components in the circuit are linear. Additionally, using multiple methods to check your results can help to ensure accuracy.

Can the Thevenin equivalent circuit be used to predict circuit behavior?

Yes, the Thevenin equivalent circuit can be used to predict the behavior of a circuit. This equivalent circuit can be easier to analyze and can provide insight into the overall behavior of the original circuit.