The title for this content could be: Understanding the Derivative of ln(e)

• Thread starter dimasalang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: Similarly ln(e)= 1, a constant, its derivative is 0. But I don't see that that has anything to do with the problem. You should be using the "product rule" to differentiate x^x ln(x). That rule is that the derivative of uv is u'v+ uv'. Then apply the "chain rule" to find u' and v'.In summary, the derivative of ln(e) is 1. To find the derivative of e^{x^x}, use the product rule and the chain rule to get y' = x^x ln(x) e^{x^x} [1 + ln(x)]. This is different from the answer given in the book, so there
dimasalang
please enlighten me, what is the derivative of (ln e) ; natural log e

is it 0 or 1?

i have this problem in the book

y = e^(x^x)

and the ANSWER is

y' = (x^x) e^(x^x) [1 + lnx] my FIRST solution and i assumed (ln e=1) ; i treated it a constant so it must be "0"

where (d/dx) c = 0
b^x = r ---> x = logb r
(d/dx) ln x = (1/x) (du/dx)

ln y = ln e^(x^x) <--- i use ln both sides

(y'/y) = [ (x^x) . (ln e) ] <--- product rule

u v ------> du v + u dv

(y'/y) = [(x^x ln x) (ln e)] + [(x^x) (1/e) (e.0)]<---must be zero ;(d/dx) ln e = 0 because ln e = 1(y'/y) = [ (x^x ln x) (ln e) + 0 ] y' = [(x^x ln x) (1)] (y) ---> multiply by (y/y) to the to both side to get y'

my final answerr is;

y' = (x^x ln x) [ e^(x^x) ] <------ where [y = e^(x^x)]

= which is in contradiction to the ANSWER IN THE BOOK

=============================================================================
and the other solution i came up with, to get the right answer in the book is;

IF (d/dx) (ln e) is = to 1

ln y = ln e^(x^x)

(y'/y) = [ (x^x) . (ln e) ]

(y'/y) = [(x^x ln x) (ln e)] + [(x^x) (1)]

(y'/y) = [(x^x ln x) (ln e)] + [(x^x)]

y' = [(x^x ln x) (1)] + [(x^x)] (y) ;(ln e) = 1anwers is y' = (x^x) e^(x^x) [1 + lnx] ;factored out (x^x) and y = e^(x^x)

which conforms to the answer in the book

is my solution correct? pls enlighten me.

Physics news on Phys.org
ln y = ln e^(x^x)

You took the derivative of the left, but you haven't taken the derivative on the right.

P.S. Do you know what the derivative of ##x^x## is equal to?

derivative of x^x = x^x ln x

(y'/y) = [(x^x ln x) (ln e)] + [(x^x) (1/e) (e.0)] <-- is this right d/dx of (ln e) is 0?

dimasalang said:
derivative of x^x = x^x ln x

No try again.

Firstly, you haven't taken the derivative on the right like I asked you.

Serious question: why are writing ln e when clearly you know that it is equal to 1?

P.S. Also you know what the derivative of 1 is equal to right? So obviously ln e = 1 so the derivative of ln e is equal to the derivative of 1.

Your original question "what is the derivative of ln(e)" is easy: ln(e)= 1 is a number, a constant. And the derivative of any constant is 0.

Of course, that has nothing to do with the "derivative of [itex]e^{x^x}[/itex]". You seem to be trying to use the general "derivative of [itex]a^x[/itex] is [itex]a^x ln(a)[/itex] but it is much simpler, for the special case of a= e, to use "the derivative of [itex]e^x[/itex] is [itex]e^x[/itex]. That "special case" is important enough to memorize by itself.

So the derivative of [itex]e^{x^x}[/itex] is, by the chain ruie, [itex]e^{x^x}[/itex] times the derivative of [itex]x^x[/itex]. That is the one pwsnafu has been trying to get you to do. If [itex]y= x^x[/itex], then [itex]ln(y)= ln(x^x)= x ln(x)[/itex]. Differentiating on the left, we have y'/y as you say. To differentiate on the right, use the product rule: (x ln(x))'= (x)' ln(x)+ x(ln(x))'.

ok so d/dx (ln e) = 1 not "0"?

if it is 1 then d/dx 1 = 0 ; where d/dx c = 0

dimasalang said:

What? How did you get that?

if it is 1 then d/dx 1 = 0 ; where d/dx c = 0 ?

Look ##\frac{d}{dx} \ln e = \frac{d}{dx} 1 = 0##.
The derivative of a constant, any constant, is zero.

ok great tnhks

Everyone knows that the derivative of ln e is 1/e. :biggrin:

SteamKing said:
Everyone knows that the derivative of ln e is 1/e. :biggrin:
And as a check, ##\int \frac 1 e = \ln e ##:-p

dimasalang said:

if it is 1 then d/dx 1 = 0 ; where d/dx c = 0
ln(e) is equal to 1, not the derivative. Because ln(2)= 1, a constant, its derivative is 0.

Related to The title for this content could be: Understanding the Derivative of ln(e)

1. What is the derivative of ln(e)?

The derivative of ln(e) is simply 1. This is because ln(e) is equivalent to saying "the power to which e must be raised to equal e". Since e raised to any power is equal to itself, the derivative is 1.

2. How do you find the derivative of ln(e)?

To find the derivative of ln(e), you can use the rule for differentiating natural logarithmic functions, which is d/dx(ln(x)) = 1/x. Since ln(e) is equivalent to ln(1), the derivative is 1/1, which simplifies to just 1.

3. Can you explain the concept of the derivative of ln(e)?

The derivative of ln(e) represents the instantaneous rate of change of the natural logarithmic function at the point where x = e. It is also the slope of the tangent line to the graph of ln(x) at that point.

4. Why is the derivative of ln(e) equal to 1?

This is because ln(e) is the inverse function of e^x, and the derivative of e^x is simply e^x. When we take the derivative of ln(e), we are essentially "undoing" the derivative of e^x, which results in just 1.

5. How is the derivative of ln(e) useful in mathematics and science?

The derivative of ln(e) is useful in many applications, such as in finding the instantaneous rate of change of a function, determining the slope of a tangent line, and solving optimization problems. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many advanced mathematical and scientific calculations.