Help drawing freeform diagram (pulley problem)

In summary, two blocks, one weighing 20 kg and the other weighing 10 kg, are connected by a light string looped over a pulley on a 20º slope. The surfaces are frictionless and the string and pulley are massless. The 20 kg block will slide down the slope due to a greater force, with three forces acting on each block - normal force, weight, and tension from the string. The tension should be in the same direction for both blocks since strings can only pull and not push. The weight of the 20 kg block adds to the normal force applied to the 10 kg block, but all forces are perpendicular to the slope and will not affect the movement of the blocks.
wraithetc
"A 20 kg block, m1, is sliding on a 10 kg block, m2. The blocks
are on a 20º slope and are connected by a light string looped
over a pulley. "

All surfaces are frictionless and the string/pulley are massless.

I understand that the 20kg block should slide down since it should have a greater force.

When I draw the diagram I have three forces for each block. The normal force perpendicular to the incline, weight pointing straight down and the tension from the String.

I'm however confused on certain aspects of the diagram.

For instance Tension should always be along the string... so does that mean the tension vector for each block should be in opposite directions?

Also since the 20kg block is sitting a top the 10kg block does that not add to the magnitude of the 10 kg's block weight force?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
wraithetc said:
When I draw the diagram I have three forces for each block. The normal force perpendicular to the incline, weight pointing straight down and the tension from the String.
OK. (But the bottom block will experience two normal forces.)

I'm however confused on certain aspects of the diagram.

For instance Tension should always be along the string... so does that mean the tension vector for each block should be in opposite directions?
No. (Strings can't push. :wink:)

Also since the 20kg block is sitting a top the 10kg block does that not add to the magnitude of the 10 kg's block weight force?
It adds to normal force applied to the 10 kg block.

Hint: Consider forces parallel to the incline.

wraithetc said:
No. strings can only pull and not push. The strings are obviously pulling the same way. I think you try to use action = reaction here and forget the forces that the pulley exerts on the strings.

since the surfaces of the blocks are frictionless, the force of the big block on the small block will be perpendicular to the slope. It will increase the force that the small block exerts on the slope, and therefore it will increase the normal force that the small block feels, but all these forces are perpendicular to the slope, and the strings and won't affect the movement of the blocks

What is a freeform diagram?

A freeform diagram is a visual representation of a system or problem that does not adhere to a specific format or structure. It allows for more flexibility and creativity in depicting the components and relationships within a system.

Why is a freeform diagram useful for solving a pulley problem?

A freeform diagram allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the pulley system, including the various forces and interactions involved. It also allows for the identification of any potential issues or inefficiencies within the system.

What are the key components of a freeform diagram for a pulley problem?

The key components of a freeform diagram for a pulley problem include the pulleys, ropes or cables, weights or loads, and any external forces or objects that may affect the system.

How can I ensure accuracy and clarity in my freeform diagram for a pulley problem?

To ensure accuracy and clarity, it is important to include labels and annotations for each component in the diagram. It is also helpful to use scale and proportion to accurately depict the sizes and distances between components.

Are there any software or tools that can assist in creating a freeform diagram for a pulley problem?

Yes, there are various software programs and online tools available that can assist in creating a freeform diagram for a pulley problem. Some popular options include Microsoft Visio, Lucidchart, and Draw.io.