Solving A-Level Physics Equation: Calculate Acceleration, Initial/Final Velocity

• Thread starter Joeirvin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a student discussing an experiment they conducted for their A Level Physics coursework using an air track and masses on a string to pull a vehicle. They had two light gates set up to measure time, but the first gate was not properly set. The conversation then asks for an equation to calculate acceleration, initial velocity, or final velocity. The student also provides the masses used and the average time for each, as well as the distance between the gates and the mass of the vehicle. Finally, they ask for help in determining the force acting on the vehicle in order to calculate acceleration using kinematic equations.
Joeirvin
I am studying A Level Physics, and for a piece of coursework i conducted an experiment using an air track. It involved using masses on a piece of string to pull a vehicle. I had two light gates set up to measure the time from a to b, however the first light gate was not set so that the initial velocity was zero..

Could anyone give me an equation to work out either, acceleration, initial velocity, or final velocity?

The masses go at intervals as follows, these are in grams..

The average time for each of these is shown below (the same order as above) all of these are in seconds..

The distance between the two gates is 0.89m and the mass of the vehicle is 410grams

Any help would be great thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What force will be acting on the vehicle? Once you know the force you can work out the acceleration and use the kinematic equations.

I would first like to commend you on conducting such a thorough experiment for your A Level Physics coursework. It is clear that you have put in a lot of effort and have obtained accurate data. Based on the information you have provided, I can offer the following equation to help you calculate the acceleration, initial velocity, or final velocity:

v = u + at

Where:
v = final velocity
u = initial velocity
a = acceleration
t = time

To use this equation, you will need to rearrange it based on what you are trying to solve for. For example, if you are trying to solve for the acceleration, you can rearrange the equation as follows:

a = (v-u)/t

Substituting the values you have in your data, you can calculate the acceleration for each mass interval. Similarly, if you are trying to solve for the initial or final velocity, you can rearrange the equation accordingly.

It is important to note that in order to accurately calculate the initial velocity, the first light gate should have been set up to measure the time from a to b with an initial velocity of zero. However, if this was not the case, you can still use the above equation to calculate the initial velocity, but it may not be as accurate.

I hope this helps you with your coursework. Remember to always double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Keep up the good work!

1. How do I calculate acceleration in A-Level Physics?

To calculate acceleration in A-Level Physics, you need to use the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. You can also rearrange this equation to solve for any of the variables, depending on what information you have.

2. What is the difference between initial and final velocity?

Initial velocity (vi) refers to the velocity of an object at the beginning of a given time interval, while final velocity (vf) refers to the velocity of the object at the end of the time interval. These values can be used to calculate the acceleration of the object.

3. How do I solve for initial or final velocity?

To solve for initial or final velocity, you need to use the equation vf = vi + at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time interval. Alternatively, you can also use the equation vi = vf - at to solve for initial velocity.

4. Can I use these equations for any type of motion?

These equations can be used for motion in a straight line with constant acceleration, which is known as uniform acceleration. This means that the object is either speeding up or slowing down at a constant rate. If the motion is not uniform, these equations may not apply.

5. How do I know which equation to use?

The equation you use will depend on what information you have and what you are trying to solve for. If you have values for acceleration, initial or final velocity, and time, you can use the a = (vf - vi) / t equation. If you are given values for acceleration, time, and either initial or final velocity, you can use the vf = vi + at or vi = vf - at equations. Always make sure to check that your units are consistent before plugging in values.