Simple Tension Exercise: Acceleration and Final Velocity Calculation

In summary, at time 0 the masses are released from the table and they begin to move towards the pulley. The tension in the string is found to be equal to the two masses' accelerations.
Kernul

Homework Statement

A mass ##m_1## is attached to a second mass ##m_2## by an Acme (massless, unstretchable) string. ##m_1## sits on a frictionless table; ##m_2## is hanging over the ends of a table, suspended by the taut string from an Acme (frictionless, massless) pulley. At time ##t = 0## both masses are released.
Find:
a) The acceleration of the two masses.
b) The tension T in the string.
How fast are the two blocks moving when mass ##m_2## has fallen a height ##H## (assuming that ##m_1## hasn’t yet hit the pulley)?
Immagine.png

Homework Equations

Newton's Second Law
Tension

The Attempt at a Solution

So, the forces in the first mass are null on the y-axis while it's ##T## on the x-axis. (Putting right as the positive direction of the x-axis and up as the positive direction of the y-axis)
So, we have:
$$F_1 = m_1 a_1 = T$$
$$a_1 = \frac{T}{m_1}$$
And this is the first acceleration.
The second mass has instead two forces acting on it on the y-axis. (nothing on the x-axis since it is just going down) These two forces are ##T## and ##P = m_2 g##. Since ##P## goes down, it is a negative force.
So we will have:
$$F_2 = m_2 a_2 = T - m_2 g$$
$$a_2 = \frac{T}{m_2} - g$$
And this is the second acceleration.
Now the problem asks for the tension ##T##. Isn't this one just ##m_1 a_1##? So I basically ended up answering both at the same time, right?

For the last question, I have to find the final velocity from the initial point until ##H##. This should be easy. Finding the final time ##t_f## and then substituting in the motion equation with ##\Delta x = H## we end up with this equation:
$$v_f = \sqrt{2 g H}$$
Is this way of doing correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can calculate a1, it should not appear in the final formula for the tension. In the same way, the tension should not appear in the formulas for the acceleration.
There is one equation that you missed, it is related to the fixed string length.

Your answer for the velocity is wrong, and I don't understand how you got it.

mfb said:
You can calculate a1, it should not appear in the final formula for the tension. In the same way, the tension should not appear in the formulas for the acceleration.
There is one equation that you missed, it is related to the fixed string length.
You mean the fact that I should take the two masses as one? Like ##m = (m_1 + m_2)## since the string just attaches them together.

mfb said:
Your answer for the velocity is wrong, and I don't understand how you got it.
Ops. I got a sign wrong and thought I did it. Because I wanted to arrive at this equation:
$$v_f^2 - v_0^2 = 2 a \Delta x$$
With ##v_0 = 0, \Delta x = H, a = -g##.
But, obviously, I end up with ##v_f^2 = - 2 g H##, which is wrong.

Kernul said:
You mean the fact that I should take the two masses as one? Like ##m = (m_1 + m_2)## since the string just attaches them together.
The total mass can be useful at some point, but that's not the point where you need to introduce it.

Are the two accelerations independent?

Ops. I got a sign wrong and thought I did it. Because I wanted to arrive at this equation:
$$v_f^2 - v_0^2 = 2 a \Delta x$$
With ##v_0 = 0, \Delta x = H, a = -g##.
But, obviously, I end up with ##v_f^2 = - 2 g H##, which is wrong.
The acceleration is not -g (and not g either). You didn't calculate the acceleration yet.
a and delta x should have the same sign, either both positive or both negative.

mfb said:
The total mass can be useful at some point, but that's not the point where you need to introduce it.

Are the two accelerations independent?
If one of the two accelerates, the other one will too because they are attached by an Acme string. So no, they are not independent.

mfb said:
The acceleration is not -g (and not g either). You didn't calculate the acceleration yet.
a and delta x should have the same sign, either both positive or both negative.
Oh true. And ##\Delta x## would be negative since it's going down.

Kernul said:
If one of the two accelerates, the other one will too because they are attached by an Acme string. So no, they are not independent.
Express this as formula and it will allow you to calculate everything.

mfb said:
Express this as formula and it will allow you to calculate everything.
This means that the two accelerations are the same? So ##a = a_1 = a_2##?

mfb said:
Right.
So ##a = \frac{m_2}{m_1 + m_2} g##, ##T = \frac{m_1 m_2}{m_1 + m_2} g##, and ##v_f = \sqrt{\frac{m_2}{m_1 + m_2} 2 g H}##?

Last edited:
Maybe double-check your result for T.

TomHart said:
Maybe double-check your result for T.
Yeah, sorry, I forgot to write the ##g##. Now it's fixed.

Likes TomHart
Correct.

Related to Simple Tension Exercise: Acceleration and Final Velocity Calculation

1. What is tension in the context of exercise?

Tension in exercise refers to the force or resistance that is applied to the muscles during a movement or activity. It is the feeling of tightness or pulling in the muscles that is necessary for muscle growth and strength building.

2. How can I create tension in my muscles during exercise?

Tension can be created in the muscles through various techniques such as using weights or resistance bands, performing slow and controlled movements, or incorporating isometric holds. It is important to focus on engaging the targeted muscles and maintaining proper form to effectively create tension.

3. What are the benefits of incorporating tension in my exercise routine?

Incorporating tension in your exercise routine can lead to increased muscle strength, size, and endurance. It can also help improve muscle definition and overall athletic performance. Additionally, tension can help prevent injuries by strengthening the muscles and improving joint stability.

4. Can simple exercises with tension be effective for muscle growth?

Yes, simple exercises with tension can be just as effective for muscle growth as more complex exercises. As long as there is enough resistance or weight being used, the muscles will be stimulated and challenged, leading to growth and strength gains.

5. Is it necessary to use equipment or weights to create tension in exercise?

No, equipment or weights are not always necessary to create tension in exercise. Bodyweight exercises, such as push-ups or squats, can also effectively create tension in the muscles. Resistance bands or household items like water bottles or towels can also be used as alternatives to weights.