Help explain Physics Phenomenon

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving sound waves altering the flow of water in a pipe. The person involved in the experiment is seeking clarification on the nature of the wave and its effects on the water. It is explained that the sound wave is causing an oscillation in the water stream, producing a sine wave appearance, but the actual transport of the water is due to gravity.
kkpanu9

http://www.quora.com/How-can-sound-waves-alter-the-flow-of-water

Ok, so I carried out this experiment, and I understand some of it, but need help with other parts. Ok, so are we actually seeing a sine wave formed by the water? If so, I understand that waves are supposed to transport energy, not matter. However, obviously in this experiment matter is being transported. Also, if this is a wave, then what is the medium? Is it air, water, the tube?? Also, I understand that the velocity of the wave is not supposed to change, but if you increase the flow rate of the water from the pipe, then the velocity obviously does increase.

Basically, can someone help relate what I'm observing to what I learned in my AP Physics class in high school?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kkpanu9 said:
If so, I understand that waves are supposed to transport energy, not matter. However, obviously in this experiment matter is being transported.

what matter is being transported ? where ?

the sound is just causing an oscillation in the water stream and producing a sine wave appearance in that flow

Dave

davenn said:
what matter is being transported ? where ?

the sound is just causing an oscillation in the water stream and producing a sine wave appearance in that flow

Dave

Oh so the wave itself is not transporting the water. That is just due to gravity.

kkpanu9 said:
Oh so the wave itself is not transporting the water. That is just due to gravity.

yes the water is just flowing out the end of the hose as it would normally do
There is just a sound wave superimposed on it ... quite neat :smile:

Dave

What is the difference between Newtonian and Einsteinian physics?

Newtonian physics, also known as classical physics, describes the behavior of objects on a macroscopic scale. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. On the other hand, Einsteinian physics, also known as modern or relativistic physics, deals with objects on a microscopic scale and describes the relationship between space and time. It is based on Einstein's theory of relativity.

What is the concept of force in physics?

In physics, force is defined as any interaction that can cause a change in the motion or shape of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The SI unit of force is the Newton (N), which is defined as the force required to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

How do magnets work in physics?

Magnets work based on the concept of magnetic fields. These fields are created by moving charges, such as the electrons in atoms. When two magnets are brought close to each other, their magnetic fields interact and produce a force on each other. This force is what we perceive as attraction or repulsion between magnets.

What is the theory of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy on a microscopic scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how these particles behave and interact with each other, and has led to many important scientific discoveries and technological advancements. It is a fundamental theory that is essential to our understanding of the universe.

How does gravity work in physics?

In physics, gravity is described as the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is one of the four fundamental forces in nature and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space. The strength of gravity is determined by the masses of the objects and the distance between them, as described by Newton's law of universal gravitation.